Welcome to the Freedomain Radio Message Board

Sign In 

Create Account
If you're interested in joining the philosophical discussion, click "sign in" or "create account" on the right of the page. If you're creating a new account, please be sure to include an explanation as to why you're interested in joining the message board community. This verification requirement is included to cut down on possible troll and spam accounts.

If you have supported Freedomain Radio financially and would like immediate access to the message board - or - your donation status is incorrect, please contact Michael at operations@freedomainradio.com with your information and the situation will be addresses ASAP.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Saturday April 12th, 2014: Toronto Bitcoin Expo

Sunday April 13th, 2014: Sunday Call In Show at 10am Eastern

Monday April 14th, 2014: Peter Schiff Radio Show at 10am Eastern

Wednesday April 16th, 2014: Wednesday Call In Show at 8pm Eastern

56 Philosopher King files - 71 Gold files - 39 Silver files - 50 Bronze files

Update: A new silver level file on Peer Influence and Envy has been added! Click here to donate if you'd like access to the various premium sections. If your donator status is incorrect, please contact Michael at operations@freedomainradio.com with the relevant information and it will be corrected as soon as possible.

Photo

We're doing it! We're unschooling! Congratulate me!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

tasmlab

tasmlab

• 301 posts

HI friends,

My wife and I have finally decided to homeschool our kids!  It's been a long analysis and we're finally on board.  Starting on Dec 10 my eight year old daughter and five year old son will not be going to school anymore and hopefully my two year old never sees one.

I absolutely FEASTED on John Taylor Gatto's "Dumbing us down" and "Weapons of Mass Instruction".  They were great.   Highly recommended.  I also read Ron Paul's "The School Revolution".

Oh, and I've listened to about 800 FDR podcasts too.

I can't believe how long it took me to get my head around this.  I've been a libertarian for 15 years and it still took a lot of mulling and study.  I guess that's how powerful my own public schooling was.

Anyways, I'm really excited.  Thanks for reading!

stigskog

stigskog

• 74 posts
great news... it takes courage to go against what is considered the norm.

John Holt is a good one to read, and as you will no longer be tied down to one location due to school, I would also recommend going to an unschooling conference somewhere. google unschooling circuitriders.

Our kids are nearly 2 and 3.5

Wesley

Wesley

Self-Excavator

• 1221 posts

Just thought I would add a book/interview to the discussion.

Congratulations! Your kid's brains will thank you.  :thanks:

TheRH

TheRH
  • 9 posts

nothing really to contribute to the thread so i'll just congratulate you!

i cannot express how happy i am for you and your kids.

Currently i'm in high school(junior), I've been following FDR for about 2 years now and i'm sorry if i don't speak up very often all my time is spent around nihilistic teachers and students during which no time is ever brought for discussions of anything other than work and Facebook. 3 years of public education have kind of left me on the silent side when it comes to expressing my opinion so please forgive me if i'm bold. 

Barry_diller

Barry_diller
  • 56 posts

how is your children about dropping out of school?

Stephen C

Stephen C

Cutie Pie

• 929 posts

Congratulations :)

- "It's just whatever grows from the seed called honesty, and the watering of the tears of loss. Whatever grows from that is your True Self." - Stef

- "people don't care what you know until they know you care" ~Aldo Pucci

‎"compassion is the engine that makes caring happen and without compassion, intellect becomes a monster"

- "a self attack is what happens when we FORGET something. we attack ourselves whenever we forgot who we are. when we separate from the love that we are, we start to fight with ourselves but we forgot that we don't like to fight because we are love." 

- "the things that people say are their worst qualities are usually their finest qualities when you can find this to be true in you, you will find a much better opinion of yourself" ~ Dee

"Loss of empathy might well be the most enduring and deepest-cutting scar of all, the silent blade of an unseen enemy, tearing at our hearts and stealing more than our strength. Stealing our will, for what are we without empathy? What manner of joy might we find in our lives if we cannot understand the joys and pains of those around us, if we cannot share in the greater community?"
-Drizzt Do'urden

tasmlab

tasmlab

• 301 posts

how is your children about dropping out of school?

My older daughter has mixed feelings.  She likes her friends at school.  It appeals to my K age boy.  Both seem to understand.

We are making a cross-country move, so there is some elegance in the timing.  We'll have a new city, new house, new approach to learning.  This big change helped the case with my wife as well.

LovePrevails

LovePrevails

• 1347 posts

Hooray! Good on you!

SuzieDavis

SuzieDavis

• 7 posts

Congrats!! We unschool as well!! if you need any tips or just somebody to talk to about it send a message my way!!!

NeoEclectic

NeoEclectic

• 43 posts

How do you plan to fulfill your children's social interaction needs with other children?

Lians

Lians

• 379 posts

Congratulations! Your kids are so lucky to have you guys as parents! I'd give a kidney to get back those 12 years of forced indoctrination.

In the belly of the beast

• 64 posts

Well done!  You've saved your children's minds from the meat grinder.  Please do post about your family's future adventures in unschooling.  I'm sure you'll have loads of great stories to tell.

'The semantically free Anarcho-Capitalist says, "Why do you regard the concept of "Emperor" (so-called) as valid?" If you use the concepts of the enemy as if valid, you've bought into the system at the most basic and most powerful level.

Some years ago I stayed with an Anarchist Libertarian friend in New York. One evening he and several friends were discussing World War II. My friend was much too young to have participated in the war, but when talking about the successes of the American army he repeatedly said, "We did so-and-so." Similarly, I've heard Libertarians talk about "our government," "our president," and "doing my taxes." They've bought into the system at the most basic and most powerful level.'

-Frederick Mann

"Bought-Into-The-System"

http://www.mind-trek...ports/tl50c.htm

tasmlab

tasmlab

• 301 posts

How do you plan to fulfill your children's social interaction needs with other children?

I don't totally know!    It was probably the last hinge for us to unscrew in our thinking.

The people you meet at school are as arbitrary as anywhere.  As it stands now, the dozen or so kids that come by for play dates were not met at school but either from the neighborhood or activities (soccer).   As I remember, most of the school day you aren't supposed to socialize but instead sit and a chair with good posture and be quiet.  You get to raise your hand and only get to address the teacher.  I think we'll be able to fulfill the socialization of recess and lunch time on our own. 

We'll start with continuing Karate lessons and horse back riding.  Maybe we'll see if the swim team appeals to them.  Then there is also homeschooling groups (lets see if I can find a non-Christian one)  and maybe we'll get a social membership to the country club.  I think some art lessons are in order, too.

• 64 posts

As I remember, most of the school day you aren't supposed to socialize but instead sit and a chair with good posture and be quiet.  You get to raise your hand and only get to address the teacher.  I think we'll be able to fulfill the socialization at recess and lunch time. 

It sounds like your family has the problem of socialization in hand.  Those activities you mention (karate, etc.) allow for a more natural form of social mixing, since schools enforce an unnatural age segregation most of the time.  You will also be much better placed in being able to minimize exposure to bullying and unsavory peers in general.  It would greatly surprise me if unschooled children did not leave home as more mature and as emotionally healthier individuals, not to mention having a better idea of where their interests and talents lie.  Your children are very fortunate to have this opportunity.

'The semantically free Anarcho-Capitalist says, "Why do you regard the concept of "Emperor" (so-called) as valid?" If you use the concepts of the enemy as if valid, you've bought into the system at the most basic and most powerful level.

Some years ago I stayed with an Anarchist Libertarian friend in New York. One evening he and several friends were discussing World War II. My friend was much too young to have participated in the war, but when talking about the successes of the American army he repeatedly said, "We did so-and-so." Similarly, I've heard Libertarians talk about "our government," "our president," and "doing my taxes." They've bought into the system at the most basic and most powerful level.'

-Frederick Mann

"Bought-Into-The-System"

http://www.mind-trek...ports/tl50c.htm

Stefanfan

Stefanfan
  • 11 posts

Congratulations tasmlab!

Stefanfan

SuzieDavis

SuzieDavis

• 7 posts

im a little late here but congrats!!!!!!!!!!! how is it going so far?! welcome to the unschooling family!!

tasmlab

tasmlab

• 301 posts

im a little late here but congrats!!!!!!!!!!! how is it going so far?! welcome to the unschooling family!!

Thanks!

Nothing has really happened yet.  The two school-agers had their last day of public school on December 9th, we moved across country and then took the x-mas/new years holiday.  I've put together a really basic program on paper, ordered them new computers and have looked up some things we are going to do in our new community.

The kids are excited.  We have to document to a degree their 'schooling, so we're going to experiment with a lot of video production and web development and they are bonkers excited about this.  

I'll keep everyone posted.  I'm planning on posting the 'plan' here soon and would love other people's feedback.  We still get these (wrong) pangs to replicate a school-like curriculum at home  when we probably need more wait-n-see at this point.

ribuck

ribuck

• 1264 posts

Congratulations! I expect your children will thank you for it when they are older.

If the older one is a bit reluctant, you can suggest that she tries it for a while, and can return to school if it doesn't work out.

Pepin

Pepin

• 527 posts

Congratulations. This may sound odd, but I find the request for congratulations very admirable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users