Welcome to the Freedomain Radio Message Board

Sign In 

Create Account
If you're interested in joining the philosophical discussion, click "sign in" or "create account" on the right of the page. If you're creating a new account, please be sure to include an explanation as to why you're interested in joining the message board community. This verification requirement is included to cut down on possible troll and spam accounts.

If you have supported Freedomain Radio financially and would like immediate access to the message board - or - your donation status is incorrect, please contact Michael at operations@freedomainradio.com with your information and the situation will be addresses ASAP.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Wednesday April 23rd, 2014: No Call In Show

Thursday and Friday April 24-25th, 2014: The Next Web Conference in Amsterdam

Friday April 25th, 2014: Watch Stefan's Speech LIVE at 9:20am Eastern

Saturday April 26th, 2014: Freedomain Radio Meet-Up in Amsterdam

Sunday April 27th, 2014: No Call In Show

56 Philosopher King files - 71 Gold files - 40 Silver files - 50 Bronze files

Update: A new silver level file on Toxic Guilt and The Credibility Bank Account has been added! Click here to donate if you'd like access to the various premium sections. If your donator status is incorrect, please contact Michael at operations@freedomainradio.com with the relevant information and it will be corrected as soon as possible.

Photo

Best Introduction Videos for friends

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

daVincisBrain

daVincisBrain
  • 2 posts

Hi!

What videos (or podcast) would you suggest to show for friends that still believes in mainstream politics? Please describe each video with why you think it is a good one.

I think the best video to explain many concepts are the Black Belt Ninja Liberty Moves.

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS0CPSX-Kxo]

BrentMcCulloch

BrentMcCulloch

• 8 posts

Great topic.  I usually show friends who've heard of libertarianism but are sceptical, Stef's video "Jon Stewart's 19 Tough Questions for Libertarians", but i'd love some more suggestions :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hhSsIpjtzY

Pepin

Pepin

• 540 posts

Depends on their personality and personal views. It is good to be aware of what the person might be extremely sensitive to and to not start them off with a topic that would shut down their ability to reason. It is also important to trust the friends ability to judge the content for themselves and to not deny their experiance.

The podcasts about atheism were pretty terrifying for me to even see. I first skipped over them. I then began to listen to them a little bit, but more to find faults, and when I couldn't, I would skip to another podcast. I felt a strong urge to discredit Stefan's "views" on the subject, but I couldn't simply because I couldn't disagree with the arguments. It took more than a few years for me to over this hurdle, and thinking back, it is quite amazing I was even able to make it over the heavy level of indoctrination and abuse in my childhood. What I found amusing was that I only really started diving into the topic of atheism after I became an atheist.

All I am saying is to be sensitive to the fact that people are programmed through their family, culture, and the school system. It is a difficult and long process, and you can't expect any argument or podcast to reverse years and years of indoctrination, especially when someone fully projects their family onto the state.

The Wanderer

The Wanderer
  • 5 posts

The good thing about FDR is that subjects blend into each other. If I have a friend with no receptivity to political issues, I could recommend a video about peaceful parenting and hope that it will contain some reference to the state and the non-aggression principle in action. 

I usually tell people to survey the list of podcasts and choose whichever one has the title that most intrigues them. Anyone with any sort of intellectual curiosity will find something: whether it be feminism, environmentalism, or current events. And once someone sits through one FDR production, they're hooked! Or at least, that was the case for me. If you can communicate how important these topics are to your own worldview, the people closest to you should want to at least check it out.

Rainbow Jamz

Rainbow Jamz

That Popular Anti-Social Guy

• 773 posts
The Story of Your (Un)Enslavement are good intro videos. Specifically Unenslavement because it sums up how the State is aj affect of the family.

For me personally Peace War and Soldiers opened my eyes to the reality of war. To be fair I always thought war was wrong and always wondered why world leaders couldnt just negotiate with eachother. So maybe it was positive confirmation for bias but there is anpoint in the video where Stef tries to hold back tears about the idea of rolling hand grenades into childrens rooms...that just hit me hard. And im sure itd do the same to anyone who is at least on the fence on the neccessity of war.

Nothing is permanent, only short term or long term.

Jay Paul

Jay Paul

• 34 posts

Great topic.  I usually show friends who've heard of libertarianism but are sceptical, Stef's video "Jon Stewart's 19 Tough Questions for Libertarians", but i'd love some more suggestions :-)

This was the first video by Stefan I ever saw. I remember the fateful November afternoon sitting alone in my dorm room at university while I was BSing on youtube. I probably should have been studying, but it was the weekend, and I liked taking some time for myself to catch up on all my subscription's uploads that I may have missed during the week. I was learning up on libertarian policies, because it was something that had very recently began to spark an internist in my mind, and when this one came up as a suggested video after some Ron Paul video ended I knew I stumbled onto something different, something special. I clicked on the strange man's forehead, and was astounded by this obviously charismatic man's philosophy and his very pleasant, genuine, and inviting demeanor. I subscribed. This video did the job of enticing my young and curious mind to want to learn more about the type of philosophy Stefan was sharing with the world. I think this would be a great video to show a friend who's somewhat familiar with libertarian ideas, and is consciously aware of their hunger for philosophy.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

xelent

xelent

• 2183 posts

If you have any friends that are anti-war, or have been in the past, I highly recommend Standing in Blood. This video single handedly changed my world view irrevocably.

meeri

meeri

• 59 posts

This was the video that lead me to FDR too, a gentle, entertaining introduction to libertarianism.

Daniel Chambers

Daniel Chambers
  • 19 posts

I had good fortune with Matt Welch's ReasonTV interview about the inevitable growth of the state. It's short and packed with good information.

"Sir, there are two passions which have a powerful influence in the
affairs of men. These are ambition and avarice -- the love of power and
the love of money." -- Benjamin Franklin, 1787

Adrienne

Adrienne

• 31 posts

I had good fortune with Matt Welch's ReasonTV interview about the inevitable growth of the state. It's short and packed with good information.

Agreed. Thanks for posting that. I hadn't seen that one before. Very nice!

Kevin Beal

Kevin Beal

:)

• 1417 posts

I gave a very skeptical, self described democrat buddy a link to the 19 tough questions video and when I talked to him about it later, he was reasoning in the way that Stef was in the video and had seemed to genuinely understand the arguments. He no longer describes himself as a democrat :)

All that is to say one more vote for the John Stewart vid

"There is no law, no compulsion, no law of physics or man that is preventing you from living the life that you want" - Stef (The Greatest Gift in the Entire Universe)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users