Welcome to the Freedomain Radio Message Board

Sign In 

Create Account
If you're interested in joining the philosophical discussion, click "sign in" or "create account" on the right of the page. If you're creating a new account, please be sure to include an explanation as to why you're interested in joining the message board community. This verification requirement is included to cut down on possible troll and spam accounts.

If you have supported Freedomain Radio financially and would like immediate access to the message board - or - your donation status is incorrect, please contact Michael at operations@freedomainradio.com with your information and the situation will be addresses ASAP.

Guest Message by DevFuse

LISTEN TO A 24/7 STREAM ON THE NEW FREEDOMAIN RADIO iOS APP!

DONATOR ONLY PREMIUM CONTENT - For more information on donator levels click here

67 Philosopher King files - 74 Gold files - 48 Silver files - 51 Bronze files

One new video and podcast on the Caitlyn Jenner story has been added to the Gold donator section.

If your donator status is incorrect, please contact Michael at operations@freedomainradio.com with the relevant information and it will be corrected as soon as possible.

Photo

CONTEST: Change the world by Thanksgiving Day!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

Blank

Blank

• 14136 posts
I know there are quite a few of you folks out here, who've been looking for a way to "donate" to Freedomain, but who also don't have a lot disposable income to throw around. Well, if you've got some spare time, we could sure use that, too! What we're looking for, specifically, are a few volunteers willing to spend a few hours a week turning a searchlight on the internet. We need good contacts. Email addresses, mostly - as many as you can find, in as many of the places you're likely to find people interested in this conversation. That means libertarians, anarchists, atheists, philosophy buffs, freedom lovers of all kinds! And, if saving the future (or, at least the future of a few dozen hopefuls), isn't enough of an incentive for you to find a few minutes a day to hunt up emails on the web, then how about some free stuff? And, since we're all about competition and the free market here, how about a contest, to top it all off? So: Whoever comes up with the most email addresses (and/or successful Yahoo! group metions) by Thanksgiving Day (US Holiday, Midnight GMT), will receive the equivalent of $50 donation credit in your name (or alternatively, your choice of two audio/pdf books) - and, lesser prizes will be meted out, at the arbitrary whim of the BCF. [;)] Oh, one final thought: The lists will be culled for duplicates, so the winner will be whoever has the most addresses after that. Post to this thread no later than Sunday (November 18), if you're interested in participating in the contest. You must post here if you are, so that I can count you among the "hopefuls". Good luck!

MAF

MAF
  • 461 posts

I have an e-mail list of "Ayn Rand Admirers".  I don't want to post it here, what's the official contest e-mail address?  

Blank

Blank

• 14136 posts
Oh, excellent point: gregory.m.gauthier@gmail.com It's not my regular address, but I'll check it once a day for incoming. Greg

DanielOR

DanielOR
  • 781 posts

Excellent idea, Greg!

Now, let's see. I have 99 GMail invites, that's quite a head start. Hrm. I could win this! Bwa-ha-ha!

charchuck

charchuck
  • 1647 posts

Oh, excellent point:

gregory.m.gauthier@gmail.com

It's not my regular address, but I'll check it once a day for incoming.

Greg

Greg, FYI

Blank

Blank

• 14136 posts
Oopsie! Well... Why did they let me even set that account up then?? Anyway, just use my email address: gmgauthi@gmail.com

Blank

Blank

• 14136 posts
Turns out, that address DOES actually work. (gregory.m.gauthier@gmail.com) [:D] And, just so everyone's clear: send the actual email addresses to me, not just a count of your contacts. [:D] ...and already have one contestant who's made a bold start, so if you want in, the sooner the better!

Graeme _UKD_

Graeme _UKD_
  • 1345 posts
Hey Greg, did you get my email? I'm happy to help out with this project.

There are no winners in war.

Blank

Blank

• 14136 posts

Yo Graeme...

Can I ask you a favor? Can you resend it? It got sent to my laptop (as one of the last emails I read there). If you could resend it, it would save me the trouble of copy-n-paste to the new machine...

Greg. 

Graeme _UKD_

Graeme _UKD_
  • 1345 posts

No problemo.

Are you able to easily weed out the email addresses from the other information? If not, I can probably get Emmanuel to do it (I don't know how).

Blank

Blank

• 14136 posts

Got it, Graeme. I'm weeding through it now. Should only take a few minutes...

Thanks!

Oh, and by the way - are we going to get into any trouble using this list? If not, it looks like you just jumped into the lead.

Graeme _UKD_

Graeme _UKD_
  • 1345 posts

I'm sure it's fine.

BTW: I'm happy to be a non-competitor.

Blank

Blank

• 14136 posts

Ok, I let this linger a little longer than I'd originally planned, just to see if anyone would enter late, but here are the final totals:

Graeme:        6,000+ addresses

MAF:            150+ addresses

Neutrinoid:    1 address

I guess that makes Graeme the hands-down winner. Though, all the addresses are to the same domain, so I think MAF should get a consolation prize for the effort.

Thanks for participating, everyone.  

Blank

Blank

• 14136 posts

By the way - don't let this stop you, if you can think of anyone at all who would be interested in Freedomain, feel free to invite them - or, if you're shy, give us the email address, and we'll do it.

Greg

Blank

Blank

• 14136 posts

Yeah, Graeme is part of an extremely large "community". I'm just not sure everyone in it, is aware he is... ;)

Dave Bockman

Dave Bockman
  • 2849 posts

I'm just listening to FDR 920 in which Stef mentions the rather dismal results with regard to culling possible email addresses for a one-time invitation to visit the website.

I wanted to share the reasons why I did not support such a publicity program. Simply put, I have strong arguments that such behavior does in fact match the definitions of 'spam' commonly accepted in the Internet community. I'd be happy to discuss specifics if anyone cares, however I also wanted to let people know why I did not participate.

How I support: In addition to purchasing the two latest books both in audio and pdf format, I visit several other websites dealing with religion, philosophy, government, and current events. I post as thoughtfully and civilly as I can. I have a link to freedomain radio in my signature, I often quote Stef, I embed YouTube videos into responses which directly address the questions being discussed or are tangentially intriguing to the topics at hand. Several of the boards I frequent have 10's of thousands of members.

Dave 

"Use the flame of knowledge to light candles, not peoples' hair"-- S. Molyneux

Nathan

Nathan
  • 13064 posts

Simply put, I have strong arguments that such behavior does in fact match the definitions of 'spam' commonly accepted in the Internet community. I'd be happy to discuss specifics if anyone cares,

Let's hear them all. 

Dave Bockman

Dave Bockman
  • 2849 posts

Ok...

The generally accepted acronym for spam mail is 'UCE', Unsolicited Commercial Email. It would appear to me, (and please correct me if I'm wrong), that harvesting email addresses from the variety of sources mentioned and then sending them an email soliciting them to visit this website would meet all three of those criteria.

The most important point to me herein is that someone posting publically on usenet, other discussion forums, L-servers, etc. does not mean they agree to having their private property harvested and used for gain by others (even when that gain is quite valuable, as in the discussions here).

A typical ISP's Terms of Service would define inappropriate behavior like this:

"In order to use our products and services, you must not only abide by all applicable laws and regulations, which include the Can-Spam Act of 2003 and the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, but you must also abide by [ISP] 's no spam policies. Commercial advertising and/or bulk emails or faxes may only be sent to recipients who have already "opted-in" to receive messages from the sender specifically. They must include a legitimate return address and reply-to address, the sender's physical address, and an opt-out method in the footer of the email or fax. Upon request by [ISP] , conclusive proof of opt-in may be required for an email address or fax number."

A viable alternative might be the creation of a 'send this link' type button on pages which contain Stef's articles, in which the reader can personally invite a person with whom they have a prior personal relationship to read the same article-- something like Lew does here:

http://tinyurl.com/yo8jgy

My stomach is roiling right now typing this, because the truth of the matter is I'm pretty sure, unless I'm missing something basic here, that an email campaign of this type would be unethical. I'm not typing this to be nit-picky or Mr. Wet Blanket or any other reason except I would really like FDR to be perceived in the best possible light now and in the future. 

Stefan Molyneux

Stefan Molyneux
  • 19755 posts

Sure, I do appreciate that, and of course I don't want to be invasive.

First of all, this is not a commercial enterprise, but more of a charity - I'm not selling anything, even the books can be had for free, so I think that's not so bad.

Secondly, my practice in the past has been to get emails from libertarian blogs and other sites, and send them a one-time invitation to come to FDR. I don't think that violates any reasonable practices - but let me know what you think.

Greg and I have been sending invitations to specific google and yahoo groups as well.

Lastly, I've only received one complaint over the past 2 years, and many expressions of thanks for the info.

What do you think? 

Please join the new Freedomain Radio Facebook page:

Freedomain Radio | Promote Your Page Too
18322869182.6864.748552535.png

http://mystatus.skype.com/balloon/stefan_molyneux

Dave Bockman

Dave Bockman
  • 2849 posts

Thanks for your reply Sir Stef,

You make some excellent points, and I want to thank you for considering what I had to say on the matter. Your results with regard to people upset over your actions certainly indicates my opinion on this might not be entirely objective.

Dave 

neutrinoide

neutrinoide
  • 569 posts

Ok, I let this linger a little longer than I'd originally planned, just to see if anyone would enter late, but here are the final totals:

Graeme:        6,000+ addresses

MAF:            150+ addresses

Neutrinoid:    1 address

I guess that makes Graeme the hands-down winner. Though, all the addresses are to the same domain, so I think MAF should get a consolation prize for the effort.

Thanks for participating, everyone.

LOL! I didn't try to participate.

Blank

Blank

• 14136 posts

just an FYI, Dave: I first came here as a result of an unsolicited email from Stef.

MattK

MattK
  • 514 posts

I'm gonna start collecting emails. So, what do I do, just get peoples email addresses and send them to Greg? I don't need to plug FDR or anything, just discreetly get peoples info.

Well, I'm gonna try!

I figure I live in the UK, so I don't even know when thanksgiving day is, so I'll just collect emails and when I give them to you, you can thank me. 

Posted Image

The simple truth is that life is short, and every hour we spend unhappy, or frustrated, or angry with ourselves is an hour that we will never live again.

Stefan Molyneux

Stefan Molyneux
  • 19755 posts
Thanks so much -- yes, just send them to Greg if you don't mind...

Please join the new Freedomain Radio Facebook page:

Freedomain Radio | Promote Your Page Too
18322869182.6864.748552535.png

http://mystatus.skype.com/balloon/stefan_molyneux

Rodzilla_

Rodzilla_
  • 2590 posts
I'll give it a shot, too, and see what kind of mess I can make of myself.  [:P]

Graeme _UKD_

Graeme _UKD_
  • 1345 posts

Also, I should have another 5k+ by the end of today (920 booted me into action). [;)]

Graeme _UKD_

Graeme _UKD_
  • 1345 posts
There's no need to compete - we're on the same team. [B]