Western Civilization’s Last Stand

The Art of The Argument

Available Now | artoftheargument.com

Freedomain Radio Amazon Affiliate Links: United States - Canada - United Kingdom

ofd

AIs create new language

There is nothing fake looking about this story.

nor is scary, or surprising or anything really worth noting outside the computer science world. It is a computer doing what it is programmed to do. Perhaps not what the programmers thought it will do, but what the code actually says. That's why computer programs have to be debugged and go thru many versions and updates. Our meat sack radiators only store so much RAM. And of course most programs today are built by many different people. 

It is a computer doing what it is programmed to do. Perhaps not what the programmers thought it will do, but what the code actually says.

There is not a really a code that can be understood behind AI / expert systems. Only nodes that have different weights.

On 10/25/2017 at 8:20 PM, Jsbrads said:

Yes, and those nodes were created by programmers

Hi Jsbrads,

A. Turing test, observer's perception human - might be just a really good AI, right?

B. What other test would you recommend?

Barnsley

P.S.: Interstellar - robot, Tars "... plenty of slaves for my robot colony! [queue light - on]" Hilarious yet eerie, isn't it?!

Yes, and those nodes were created by programmers

Out of curiosity, have you ever set up a neural network?

1 hour ago, ofd said:

Out of curiosity, have you ever set up a neural network?

I have, using Google's python library for it. I think what he's trying to say is that current neural networks do not yet have free will.

Yes, and they never will, based on the technology we are using.

just because the programmers don't know what the heck they are doing, doesn't mean they arent setting up every decisions result. 

7 hours ago, Jsbrads said:

just because the programmers don't know what the heck they are doing, doesn't mean they arent setting up every decisions result. 

if you run the same deep neural network over a given dataset, you will get similar but different results. We can test this out by comparing the results' correlations to the data's labels, and what you find is for e.g. one time it will be .93, .94, .92, etc.

There is a degree of randomness, so the programmer cannot possibly set up every result.

I can place a heavy object on an unstable support without knowing which way it would fall or even if it will fall. That imperfection of knowledge doesn’t free me from responsibility.

the AI is that inanimate overbalanced arrangement. All the power we give it, no responsibility for its failure when it fails.  

1 hour ago, Jsbrads said:

I can place a heavy object on an unstable support without knowing which way it would fall or even if it will fall. That imperfection of knowledge doesn’t free me from responsibility.

the AI is that inanimate overbalanced arrangement. All the power we give it, no responsibility for its failure when it fails.  

Hi @Jsbrads

To the uninitiated (like me) your parallel is such illustrative, thanks.

I'll nick it if you don't mind.

Barnsley