Western Civilization’s Last Stand

The Art of The Argument

Available Now | artoftheargument.com

Freedomain Radio Amazon Affiliate Links: United States - Canada - United Kingdom

1 hour ago, A4E said:

Thanks. I'm trying to understand. In the meantime. As a thought experiment. What if a photon was going at 101 percent of the speed of light. (even if its not possible in the theory), what would happen? And is there any chance that it is happening, but we are just not able to see/understand the effects of it?

We don't have a way to predict. Mathematically the answer to your question is "undefined".

9 hours ago, A4E said:

What if a photon was going at 101 percent of the speed of light. (even if its not possible in the theory), what would happen? And is there any chance that it is happening, but we are just not able to see/understand the effects of it?

If light or something else carrying information was faster than c, we would be in big trouble concerning causality.  As said, different observers moving with different speeds at different positions in spacetime do not agree about wether events are simultaneous or not. Alien 65 million lightyears away from us see an asteroid falling onto earth in their "now", while our now here is in the 21. century.

But, and thats important, every observer, regardless of his position and speed, will agree to a causal chain of events. First an asteroid falls. Thereafter the dinosaurs go extinct. If information could move faster than light, there would be observers who would watch that it was the other way round.

To understand this, have a look at the Minkowski diagramm linked in a previous post. It is math drawn in a picture, and yes it is nothing that is normally understood by just reading it once. What I do: Just start reading.  Make a pause. Then I try to remember what I have understood. It will be little, thats perfectly normal. Read again. Remember once more, wait til the next day, read again. I make some sports, run for an hour. Then comes the point where I get angry to be so stupid not to reenact what somebody else discovered :)   Thats normally the push to go through it again, til it makes "click" and things are clear.

regards

Andi