Freedomain Radio Amazon Affiliate Links: United States - Canada - United Kingdom

Welcome to Freedomain Radio Message Board

If you're interested in joining the philosophical discussion, click "sign in" or "create account" on the right of the page. If you're creating a new account, please be sure to include an explanation as to why you're interested in joining the message board community. This verification requirement is included to cut down on possible spam accounts.

Dylan Lawrence Moore

Why College Sucks - Start a Business or Get a Job

Much to my chagrin, as I was working on this video, Stef went and published a call-in show AND a video on this topic. Balls.

I am one of the "rare" success stories of the modern college era. I graduated in 2009 with a BS in Chemistry and I already had a job lined up at an oil refinery where I had been interning as a lab tech for a year and a half. I had gone to school, gotten good grades, went to university, and got the coveted job that correlated to my degree. Congratulations! I was mediocre.

But I fucking hated it.

I ran away screaming from the academic and corporate world to spend four years between living a monastic lifestyle in a Shinto shrine, moving across the country and become a teacher at a private high school, and finally buying a one-way plane ticket to Europe where I would spend two and a half years being more or less a vagabond. I wanted to reject utterly the life that had been promoted to me by society.

I came back to the US, my clothes in shreds and not much more than $5 in my pocket. I had tasted the modern middle class dream and I had lived a life as close as I could to a monk with a vow of poverty, and then and there I decided I was going to be a business owner and a real estate investor. Being broke sucked, but I preferred it over not being able to decide my schedule and decide what I was going to do throughout the day. The key was business and passive income, and I felt the best way to achieve that was real estate.

Since then, through much trial and tribulation, real estate guru bootcamps, and entrepreneurship programs, I've been able to raise a quarter million dollars of private investor capital and as of last December I've started my first real estate project with a business partner.

Fuck school. Fuck university. And fuck everything that they taught me. I'll write my own script here, thanks.

Hope I'm able to add something that Stef may have missed!

-Dylan

P.S. Is anyone here adept or at least decent editing video with Kdenlive? I sure as hell could use a resource to ask questions to. I've had a hell of a time properly editing and getting these things up to Youtube.

Spot fucking on. And timely too since now is the time for me enter University for Architecture (evidently no toher choice to be building desinger) Or Higher Vocational training... or just fuck it, work something/somewhere else until EU collpases and laws change.

I know we have talked about this before Dylan, and i am... wawering over it. Gonna die one day so should i use up 5-7 years on this thing that i Like very much? (though admittedly edited this post to say i dont LOVE it since id probobly already be doing it.) Ya think "already doing it" is a good sigh of if somethign useful? Find it personally useful motto?

Only i can figure that out i know, just saying this very timely video for me.

PS. Incidentally this comments was posted BEFORE skype but shown only AFTER... :S

I'm sure I've told you this before.

Choose to do uncomfortable things because they make you uncomfortable. This trains your pain tolerance, which will allow you to do the things you need to do, even when you don't want to.

I trained myself by random commitments. Flying to Europe on a one-way plane ticket, for example, was a commitment to throw myself into a fire and see if I could survive, knowing I would learn a massive amount in the process. I took on a foreign culture I knew nothing about (Austrian) just to see if I could do it.

Now I'm figuring out how to make money. It's hard after living as a monk/vagabond, but the previous training to be determined to do the uncomfortable helps keep me committed. :D

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 0:01 AM, Dylan Lawrence Moore said:

Much to my chagrin, as I was working on this video, Stef went and published a call-in show AND a video on this topic. Balls.

I am one of the "rare" success stories of the modern college era. I graduated in 2009 with a BS in Chemistry and I already had a job lined up at an oil refinery where I had been interning as a lab tech for a year and a half. I had gone to school, gotten good grades, went to university, and got the coveted job that correlated to my degree. Congratulations! I was mediocre.

But I fucking hated it.

I ran away screaming from the academic and corporate world to spend four years between living a monastic lifestyle in a Shinto shrine, moving across the country and become a teacher at a private high school, and finally buying a one-way plane ticket to Europe where I would spend two and a half years being more or less a vagabond. I wanted to reject utterly the life that had been promoted to me by society.

I came back to the US, my clothes in shreds and not much more than $5 in my pocket. I had tasted the modern middle class dream and I had lived a life as close as I could to a monk with a vow of poverty, and then and there I decided I was going to be a business owner and a real estate investor. Being broke sucked, but I preferred it over not being able to decide my schedule and decide what I was going to do throughout the day. The key was business and passive income, and I felt the best way to achieve that was real estate.

Since then, through much trial and tribulation, real estate guru bootcamps, and entrepreneurship programs, I've been able to raise a quarter million dollars of private investor capital and as of last December I've started my first real estate project with a business partner.

Fuck school. Fuck university. And fuck everything that they taught me. I'll write my own script here, thanks.

Hope I'm able to add something that Stef may have missed!

-Dylan

P.S. Is anyone here adept or at least decent editing video with Kdenlive? I sure as hell could use a resource to ask questions to. I've had a hell of a time properly editing and getting these things up to YouTube.

Thanks so much Dylan. I was about to post a topic and I still will pertaining to the education system disaster.

Like you, I am learning real estate, marketing programs, entrepreneurship, and a variety of others. I am still struggling to put a business plan in motion but, I know being an employee is not the end game for me. I got fucked around in the education system. It pedals and it supplicate to the girls. The majority of the admission offers are women paper pushers. Many failed to process my application that I spent hundreds of dollars on. They took my money and failed to process my stuff placing me on a waitlist.

I had to fight with them and get the run around before going over their head to the Dean of the Uni to get my place. These sloths should be fired for incompetency.

In the programs, the opportunities were always provided to women with better practicums, and job opportunities. At first, I thought I was being judgmental, and paranoid but, I watched it time and time again. I even had issues with profs messing with my marks and assignments. It was pretty fucked up stuff and even as a grown adult, they treat you like a kid, and take no responsibilities for their mistakes. If a student is late, he fails but, if a prof fails to mark something on time, its always an excuse. If the internship officer went on a bender and did not process applications for students days before they are to start, she needs a pity party. Despite finishing with honors, I was by passed by better internship opportunities, despite the grading system that was a prerequisite. It was sexist to the max. I've never seen anything like it. It was wrong.

So, I finish with fucking HONORs with a full time job, and I matched with very few to no job prospects. The option is more education or to start a business which, the latter sounds like a great option. Its just not something I am aware of or something my mind has focused on in this shitty education system I came through. I have few prospective options atm. Again, I got a lot of problems at the school and many have connections in the field. I feel like this has definitely hurt me and I even tried to play nice until the fuckery reached a whole other level.

Dylan, I am beyond frustrated with the education system the job market, and the lack of opportunity available especially to young men in this stupid system. Aspiring entrepreneur. Any motivation/inspiration/advice is welcome. Your post comes at a good time before I do something foolish like go back to school for post grade or a masters.

8 hours ago, meetjoeblack said:

In the programs, the opportunities were always provided to women with better practicums, and job opportunities. At first, I thought I was being judgmental, and paranoid but, I watched it time and time again. I even had issues with profs messing with my marks and assignments.

I was a chem major, and I remember my junior year it was announced that the chem scholarships were available in the office in the chem building. I went to go check them out (working 40 hours a week all summer at the refinery was enough to pay for 1 quarter of college at the time). I took the sheet that had the list of scholarships. There were 11 of them: 1 general chem scholarship available to anyone, 1 scholarship for students planning on pursuing pharmaceuticals, and 9 scholarships for women only.

8 hours ago, meetjoeblack said:

Dylan, I am beyond frustrated with the education system the job market, and the lack of opportunity available especially to young men in this stupid system. Aspiring entrepreneur. Any motivation/inspiration/advice is welcome. Your post comes at a good time before I do something foolish like go back to school for post grade or a masters.

Send me a PM and we can talk more about this.

3 hours ago, Dylan Lawrence Moore said:

I was a chem major, and I remember my junior year it was announced that the chem scholarships were available in the office in the chem building. I went to go check them out (working 40 hours a week all summer at the refinery was enough to pay for 1 quarter of college at the time). I took the sheet that had the list of scholarships. There were 11 of them: 1 general chem scholarship available to anyone, 1 scholarship for students planning on pursuing pharmaceuticals, and 9 scholarships for women only.

Send me a PM and we can talk more about this.

The women only point stands out. I watched as multiple internships were passed me by to women with not even a fraction of my GPA. Multiple internships were gifted and when questioned, I was matched with female logic. I found the administration abysmal. Failure to process paperwork. No recourse. The week before internships were started, someone had not sent out emails, confirmation, and did their job. It was so amateur hour.

Still, the job market requests such and such designation/degree/diploma/other. Of course, if you have political ties or family name that means a damn, you leap frog the pecking order. I am beyond frustrated and the favoritism towards the girls is beyond ridiculous at this point. The ratio is 4:1 women to men in school. Men have been falling behind in the school system for over 50yrs. The data is showing this as in the book "Men on Strike." If this was women, there would be course correction but, of course, its men and fuck is not given. I am also curious as to how accurate the data is on male gpa. IMHO I watched as marks were taken off me and full marks given to women for the same thing. Of course, it was called a "error" yet, it was a common theme. I lose a full mark. A girl is graded partial marks at the very least.

Trump puts it best in saying, "they can't compete."

I am glad to have seen this thread. I think it is what I needed and a lot of other young people. I feel for those coming up out of high school and having been indoctrinated into this web of student loan college push. As stated before, you cannot declare bankruptcy on a student loan the way you can on just about everything else. A buddy of mine is a business guy and has not had a day job in almost twenty years. He is someone I learn from and he has stated many times that the info is all out there. Unfortunately, many professions require a piece of paper and you are paying to go to work. They tax this and then you got to work where you are taxed again. I really liked the most recent youtube podcasts that Stefan put out about being shut out from the arts and business so, he went into the free market and created those opportunities. Its a great reminder for myself and others.