Welcome to the Freedomain Radio Message Board

Sign In 

Create Account
If you're interested in joining the philosophical discussion, click "sign in" or "create account" on the right of the page. If you're creating a new account, please be sure to include an explanation as to why you're interested in joining the message board community. This verification requirement is included to cut down on possible spam accounts.

If you have supported Freedomain Radio financially and would like immediate access to the message board - or - your donation status is incorrect, please contact Michael at operations@freedomainradio.com with your Paypal email/Bitcoin address/etc as well as your board account name and the situation will be addressed ASAP.

Guest Message by DevFuse

DONATOR ONLY PREMIUM CONTENT - For more information on donator levels click here

67 Philosopher King files - 72 Gold files - 48 Silver files - 51 Bronze files

If your donator status is incorrect, please contact Michael at operations@freedomainradio.com with the relevant information.

Freedomain Radio Amazon Affiliate Links: United States - Canada - United Kingdom

Photo

Fold-over distortion on call-in shows

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

dysfunc_survivor

dysfunc_survivor
  • 40 posts

I have a number years of working with audio as a musician, and as an engineer. I'm noticing aliasing / fold-over distortion on all shows that has a caller. It sounds like mixing of samplerates with no pre-filtering. The shows that have no caller doesn't have this, so it seems related to skype. For me it's very audible when Stef say "s".

I could help with that if there is interest.

luxfelix

luxfelix
  • 574 posts

Pro tip:

Since there is a chance that your message will be misunderstood without the prerequisite technical knowledge, I recommend making and posting an A/B demo on a brief clip to better demonstrate your offer in a jargon-free way.

:whistling:

dysfunc_survivor

dysfunc_survivor
  • 40 posts

Pro tip:

Since there is a chance that your message will be misunderstood without the prerequisite technical knowledge, I recommend making and posting an A/B demo on a brief clip to better demonstrate your offer in a jargon-free way.

:whistling:

Dumbing it down, huh? Since it's a technical matter, there is not many ways to put it in simpler terms. It's easy to google the definitions, I'm not wikipedia.

luxfelix

luxfelix
  • 574 posts

Example: [https://www.youtube....?v=B2JxzH0lGOc]

dysfunc_survivor

dysfunc_survivor
  • 40 posts

You can't correct spectral content. Also, the amount of content Stef and co puts out, there is no time to do extra post-processing.

Here are examples of clips with aliasing:

No aliasing:

luxfelix

luxfelix
  • 574 posts

I think you'll find that, by posting those examples, you will have better proved your point to those whom are unfamiliar with the jargon. It's perfectly fine to dumb it down. :thumbsup:

The next step would be to show how you can help -- since, as you stated, there is no time to do extra post-processing (maybe/maybe not?).

Likewise, feel free to contact them directly with your solution (if you haven't done so already).

I'm sure they -- and the audience at large -- will greatly appreciate any improvement.

dysfunc_survivor

dysfunc_survivor
  • 40 posts

I think you'll find that, by posting those examples, you will have better proved your point to those whom are unfamiliar with the jargon. It's perfectly fine to dumb it down. :thumbsup:

The next step would be to show how you can help -- since, as you stated, there is no time to do extra post-processing (maybe/maybe not?).

Likewise, feel free to contact them directly with your solution (if you haven't done so already).

I'm sure they -- and the audience at large -- will greatly appreciate any improvement.

Since I don't know their setup, there is not much more than speculation that I could do. It could have to do with the software they use. It could have to do with how the audio setup is done. Probably they use one computer for skype and one for recording. Like I said, I can't do much more than speculate without knowledge of the setup etc.

luxfelix

luxfelix
  • 574 posts

Could you contact and ask them those questions directly?

Iron Horse

Iron Horse
  • 82 posts

He is very clear, audible and comprehensive when he talks, however if you are able to improve his singing voice.