Welcome to the Freedomain Radio Message Board

Sign In 

Create Account
If you're interested in joining the philosophical discussion, click "sign in" or "create account" on the right of the page. If you're creating a new account, please be sure to include an explanation as to why you're interested in joining the message board community. This verification requirement is included to cut down on possible troll and spam accounts.

If you have supported Freedomain Radio financially and would like immediate access to the message board - or - your donation status is incorrect, please contact Michael at operations@freedomainradio.com with your information and the situation will be addresses ASAP.

Guest Message by DevFuse

LISTEN TO A 24/7 STREAM ON THE NEW FREEDOMAIN RADIO iOS APP!

DONATOR ONLY PREMIUM CONTENT - For more information on donator levels click here
66 Philosopher King files - 73 Gold files - 47 Silver files - 51 Bronze files

One new Silver podcast has been added to the donator section: Is a lack of empathy immoral?.

If your donator status is incorrect, please contact Michael at operations@freedomainradio.com with the relevant information and it will be corrected as soon as possible.

Photo

[YouTube] Defending Adam Carolla: The Young Turks Rebutted!

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

MMD

MMD

• 1428 posts
Ana Kasparian from The Young Turks recently went after comedian and radio host Adam Carolla for saying that "liberals have taken over the word "conservative" and turned it into a pejorative."...

-37 This post by jacbot is below the user reputation threshold. View it anyway?

nathanm

nathanm
  • 2006 posts

Adam Corolla's Vulgar Display Of Power Sneeze

"The government always sneaks in when I'm half seized-over and purloins the very thread from my hanky!" - Joad Cressbeckler

Bulbasaur

Bulbasaur
  • 62 posts

I was a Young Turks member before finding Stefan. I was also a big Carolla fan, and I always cringed when I saw they were about to talk about something Carolla said; I almost always agreed with Carolla and found their criticism inane (the exception being Carolla's regrettable stance on torture of detainees). Within a few weeks of finding Stefan (thanks, Joe Rogan), I ended my TYT membership and subscribed to FDR instead. Now I cringe watching Ana stumble through these strawmen and tired cliches and reflect that hindsight is 20/20.

It's the principle that I was missing. I think I would have agreed even at the time that resorting to violence to get what you want is simply not acceptable, no matter how righteous you deem your intentions, but it wasn't until I heard Stefan's arguments that I realized that this is at the foundation of everything they stood for. Actually it's worse, they don't just grudgingly turn to state power as a last resort, but jump straight to it without hesitation. Once I could see clearly every policy, proposal, and argument cast in terms of voluntary or coercive, the world snapped into focus, and I could see that my worldview as a progressive had been hazy and vague, with no guiding principle besides 'pragmatism.' Thanks for posting this video, maybe there are other TYT listeners who will find FDR through it and find just the arguments that they've been missing.

I'd love to see a show with you and Carolla. Maybe this will get you on his radar.

"Beware of anyone who wishes to take the burden of improvement away from you." - Stef

"The truly free individual is free only to the extent of his own self-mastery. While those who will not govern themselves are condemned to find masters to govern over them." - The War of Art

"There is no shame, there is honor in suffering evil, if you work to overcome it." - Stef

PatrickC

PatrickC

London Meetup organiser

• 3117 posts

It would be interesting to see if TYT do a rebuttal to this. They'll have to work a little harder of course. :)

mangodrink

mangodrink
  • 26 posts

I'd like to see Stef and Adam get together and talk, that would be a good convo. 

JohnH.

JohnH.
  • 110 posts

It would be interesting to see if TYT do a rebuttal to this. They'll have to work a little harder of course. :)

They'd just call Stef a cult leader and rape apologist.

PatrickC

PatrickC

London Meetup organiser

• 3117 posts

We'll see I guess. :)

We'll see I guess. :)

-93 This post by CultishStew is below the user reputation threshold. View it anyway?

Clay

Clay
  • 352 posts

Ana Kasparian has been responding to some tweets with regards to this podcast.

https://twitter.com/...025126563450880

Posted ImagePosted Image

PatrickC

PatrickC

London Meetup organiser

• 3117 posts

^^^ Totally predictable

I noticed Thunderf00t joined into the fray on the YT page, making some weak economic point.

Interesting this video was well targeted. Good work chaps.

nathanm

nathanm
  • 2006 posts

Twitter, the communication format of choice for people who have nothing to say and no space to say it in even if they did.

"The government always sneaks in when I'm half seized-over and purloins the very thread from my hanky!" - Joad Cressbeckler

J-William

J-William
  • 1297 posts

Interesting this video was well targeted. Good work chaps.

Yeah, I wondered what had possesed them to make a video about how some youtube person can't think...

I mean that's like making a video about politicians being liars, or dogs eating their own poo...

But It seems to have been a pretty good decision :D

Please check out my game "Hungry Blob", it's a pleasant time-waster. https://itunes.apple...d923740806?mt=8    :thanks:

“Good men don’t serve in the army.  Good iron doesn’t get turned into nails.”- Chinese saying

Alan Chapman

Alan Chapman
  • 5063 posts

I don't know how you have the patience to read through YT comments. I quickly glanced through them and they're infuriating. The stupidity is overwhelming. It's no wonder why the world is in such trouble.

PatrickC

PatrickC

London Meetup organiser

• 3117 posts

I'm with you Alan. It's just the way YT filter top comments, you can normally easily spot the celebrity comments quickly due to their popularity.

This was Thunderf00ts comment. On an aside I think he has a soft spot for dear Ana. ;)

"s[color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:arial, sans-serif;font-size:13.333333015441895px]igh... hard core libertarians.[/color]

[color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:arial, sans-serif;font-size:13.333333015441895px]Everything is the boogie man cos its 'coercive redistribution of wealth' see [/color]50:00

[color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:arial, sans-serif;font-size:13.333333015441895px]Kids cost ~ half a million dollars to raise/ feed/ educate etc.[/color]
[color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:arial, sans-serif;font-size:13.333333015441895px]Thats a necessary burden of society in that if there are no kids, our species is dead. [/color]
[color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:arial, sans-serif;font-size:13.333333015441895px]Its an overhead you cannot get around. [/color]
[color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:arial, sans-serif;font-size:13.333333015441895px]And you would be all in favour of not GIVING women $10 a month of birth control pills to ensure that a ~$500 000 of costs is handed in a more controlled manner.[/color]
[color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:arial, sans-serif;font-size:13.333333015441895px]For an someone who talks so much about economics, you sure cant spot a false economy.[/color]

[color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:arial, sans-serif;font-size:13.333333015441895px]...or lets take something else. How about the police force?  Are you in favour of 'coercive redistribution of wealth' when it comes to ensuring an optimum level of security? If so then your whole argument about  'coercive redistribution of wealth'  becomes moot as it can equally well be a good or a bad thing.  It also means you have sat here demonomizing someone because of an irrelevance, where what you should really have been focusing on is ....is it better for society.  [/color]
[color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:arial, sans-serif;font-size:13.333333015441895px]If you think there is no optimal level of   'coercive redistribution' funded policing, then isnt somalia your dream society?"[/color]

J-William

J-William
  • 1297 posts

I'm with you Alan. It's just the way YT filter top comments, you can normally easily spot the celebrity comments quickly due to their popularity.

This was Thunderf00ts comment. On an aside I think he has a soft spot for dear Ana. ;)

"s[color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:arial, sans-serif;font-size:13.333333015441895px]igh... hard core libertarians.[/color]

[color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:arial, sans-serif;font-size:13.333333015441895px]Everything is the boogie man [/color]

*SNIP*

[color=rgb(51,51,51);font-family:arial, sans-serif;font-size:13.333333015441895px]  'coercive redistribution' funded policing, then isnt somalia your dream society?"[/color]

That is some hot thinking right there!
The intellectual quality of his argument leads me to think that it is appropriate for him to spend most of his time debating with theists, at least they are on his level.

It's a real wonder he can even tie his shoes.

I am in no way surprised that he has a soft spot for Ana because she's a pretty lady hahahaha.

Please check out my game "Hungry Blob", it's a pleasant time-waster. https://itunes.apple...d923740806?mt=8    :thanks:

“Good men don’t serve in the army.  Good iron doesn’t get turned into nails.”- Chinese saying

PatrickC

PatrickC

London Meetup organiser

• 3117 posts

Yes I like TF's science videos a lot and he's probably one of the better atheists to rebut the feminist infestation within that group.

Which is surprising when he then claims everyone should contribute towards women's birth control to save on the costs of raising an unwanted child. Talk about handing the poor lady waifs yet another get out of jail free card.

The sad truth is that for the average anti feminist male leftist. The day will dawn on them that have been hoisted up by their own ideology, as all the feminists cheer around them. :P

Alan Chapman

Alan Chapman
  • 5063 posts

I've written about Thunderf00t before. He's a typical academic with little real-world experience. He was capable of earning a doctorate, and possesses a superb analytical ability, yet he is a complete economic ignoramus and writes sophomoric rubbish.

He fails to see the immorality of expropriation.

He once posted a comment on YT in which he said that (paraphrasing) the State is the greatest invention ever to reduce violence.

He made a YT video in which he said that capitalism was responsible for slavery. He made another in support of the bank bailouts.

He conflates police with security.

He parrots the canard about Somalia without verifying facts.

labmath2

labmath2
  • 251 posts

I am disappointed by the rebuttals they provided (though not shocked). There is only one good argument that comes as a rebuttal and it is not a principled rebuttal but, but consequential one. 

Some people are born to poorer, less educated ... all the bad things you can think of. These people go on to become members of society. If they turn out to be criminals (or just generally do things that affect us negatively), society (by which i mean other people who are well adjusted) will be harmed by those worse off individuals.

If you have read freakonomics you should be familiar with the argument for how abortion reduces crime. Posed with such a possibility,  If everyone else spends less by simply subsidizing the actions of some, instead of dealing with the consequences of their actions later, would we not be better off subsidizing their actions?

Again, i understand this is argument from effect.

"Today Americans would be outraged if U.N. troops entered Los Angeles to restore order; tomorrow they will be grateful! This is especially true if they were told there was an outside threat from beyond whether real or promulgated, that threatened our very existence. It is then that all peoples of the world will pledge with world leaders to deliver them from this evil. The one thing every man fears is the unknown. When presented with this scenario, individual rights will be willingly relinquished for the guarantee of their well being granted to them by their world government." - Henry Kissinger

Alan Chapman

Alan Chapman
  • 5063 posts

If you have read freakonomics you should be familiar with the argument for how abortion reduces crime.

If you smash people's toes with a hammer if they don't brush their teeth properly then you can reduce cavities in society.

If you sterilize stupid people so that they don't breed then you'll reduce stupidity in society.

While these types of arguments may appear to have merit superficially, they are based upon the fundamentally unsound principle that the ends justify the means.

The argument in Freakonomics (as you've presented it) is flawed for two reasons: 1) it's a false dichotomy to assert that the choices available are confined to either subsidizing prevention or paying for future consequences, and 2) assuming that crime is simply a given is context dropping as well as it's too nebulous to really convey anything meaningful here (how does Freakonomics define 'crime').

labmath2

labmath2
  • 251 posts

If you smash people's toes with a hammer if they don't brush their teeth properly then you can reduce cavities in society.

If you sterilize stupid people so that they don't breed then you'll reduce stupidity in society.

While these types of arguments may appear to have merit superficially, they are based upon the fundamentally unsound principle that the ends justify the means.

The argument in Freakonomics (as you've presented it) is flawed for two reasons: 1) it's a false dichotomy to assert that the choices available are confined to either subsidizing prevention or paying for future consequences, and 2) assuming that crime is simply a given is context dropping as well as it's too nebulous to really convey anything meaningful here (how does Freakonomics define 'crime').

I take offense to the first example since someone else having cavity does not affect me, but someone else going around murdering and raping does.

I see the first point. Though i cannot think of any solution, i am sure there are problem solvers who can create much more creative solutions to the problem. What would you suggest is a better solution?

The book refers to violent crime. Things like murder and rape.

"Today Americans would be outraged if U.N. troops entered Los Angeles to restore order; tomorrow they will be grateful! This is especially true if they were told there was an outside threat from beyond whether real or promulgated, that threatened our very existence. It is then that all peoples of the world will pledge with world leaders to deliver them from this evil. The one thing every man fears is the unknown. When presented with this scenario, individual rights will be willingly relinquished for the guarantee of their well being granted to them by their world government." - Henry Kissinger

Alan Chapman

Alan Chapman
  • 5063 posts

I take offense to the first example since someone else having cavity does not affect me...

The point of that example was that appealing to ends doesn't confer legitimacy, and one cannot simply look at a result while ignoring costs.

However, since you said it doesn't affect you...

More patients with routine dental problems turn to hospital emergency rooms

Nationwide, the number of dental-related visits to the ER jumped by 16 percent during a three-year period between 2006 and 2009. In Illinois, about 65,500 residents in 2009 went to the ER for dental conditions, of which almost half were deemed preventable...

labmath2

labmath2
  • 251 posts

The point of that example was that appealing to ends doesn't confer legitimacy, and one cannot simply look at a result while ignoring costs.

However, since you said it doesn't affect you...

More patients with routine dental problems turn to hospital emergency rooms

Isn't that just another case of state intervention?

Clay

Clay
  • 352 posts

Income video from Ana tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/...622909561044992

Posted Image

Clay

Clay
  • 352 posts

Posted Image

I think she may have changed her mind about releasing a video response?

Posted Image

PatrickC

PatrickC

London Meetup organiser

• 3117 posts

Ah the bait has been working. Nice work chaps, your devilry is clearly genius.. (I hyperbolize of course)  :D

MMX2010

MMX2010
  • 1040 posts

I'm not on twitter, but if I were, I'd tell Ana Kasparian: (1) It's condescending to use the word "regurgitating", and it's self-incriminating to use condescension in a post complaining about someone else's supposed condescension.  (2) It's also condescending to state that it's a "waste of time" to engage with an entire group of people. 

Wuzzums

Wuzzums
  • 555 posts

Posted Image

More like "I realized I didn't have any arguments except ad hominems."

"My common sense is tingling."

mangodrink

mangodrink
  • 26 posts

Jimmies have been rustled.

MMX2010

MMX2010
  • 1040 posts

Ah the bait has been working. Nice work chaps, your devilry is clearly genius.. (I hyperbolize of course)  :D

I recently read many posts on the anonymousconservative.com blog, and I think this series is most pertinent to what you just posted. 

I'm not sure whether Stef realizes it, but when he says things like, "Oh, Ana, you'd be much better off applying less foundation, and working on the philosophical foundations of your argument...", he's triggering some deep-seated emotional reactions that literally short-circuit her thinking skills.  In response, she rages, which reveals her to be a bad thinker, which either: (1) rallies other bad thinkers around her, (which, gratefully, means they'll never come here) or (2) drives the good thinkers to us, in good faith. 

http://www.anonymous...actics-preface/

(If you decide to peruse those posts, definitely click on the video link.  You don't have to watch the whole thing, but you do have to watch Mike Wallace's initial response, followed by Colonel Connell's measured, cold response.) 

PatrickC

PatrickC

London Meetup organiser

• 3117 posts

Many thanks for the heads up MMX and the links too.. After listening to Stefan's take on marketing and promoting FDR in Amsterdam recently. I get the feeling this particular swerve is all about that. I look forward to the YT celebrity distractions and the bevy of new listeners too. :)

EDIT- Couldn't find the video link MMX

MMX2010

MMX2010
  • 1040 posts

Many thanks for the heads up MMX and the links too.. After listening to Stefan's take on marketing and promoting FDR in Amsterdam recently. I get the feeling this particular swerve is all about that. I look forward to the YT celebrity distractions and the bevy of new listeners too. :)

You're welcome.  :)  Ever since browsing those links, I've imagined Stef as Raiden from Mortal Kombat, coldly and calmly shooting electricity from his hands into the brains of not-very-good thinkers. 

Lalilulelo

Lalilulelo
  • 6 posts

MMX2010 (post #27) to J-William (post #16):

#16: The intellectual quality of his argument leads me to think that it is appropriate for him to spend most of his time debating with theists, at least they are on his level.

#27: It's also condescending to state that it's a "waste of time" to engage with an entire group of people.

-Lalilulelo, ex-nonbeliever, now a monotheist

JohnH.

JohnH.
  • 110 posts

nathanm

nathanm
  • 2006 posts

Blah blah blah.  One-on-one conversation or GTFO in my opinion.  This video reply stuff could go on indefinitely.