Welcome to the Freedomain Radio Message Board

Sign In 

Create Account
If you're interested in joining the philosophical discussion, click "sign in" or "create account" on the right of the page. If you're creating a new account, please be sure to include an explanation as to why you're interested in joining the message board community. This verification requirement is included to cut down on possible troll and spam accounts.

If you have supported Freedomain Radio financially and would like immediate access to the message board - or - your donation status is incorrect, please contact Michael at operations@freedomainradio.com with your information and the situation will be addresses ASAP.

Guest Message by DevFuse

LISTEN TO A 24/7 STREAM ON THE NEW FREEDOMAIN RADIO iOS APP!

DONATOR ONLY PREMIUM CONTENT - For more information on donator levels click here

67 Philosopher King files - 74 Gold files - 48 Silver files - 51 Bronze files

One new video and podcast on the Caitlyn Jenner story has been added to the Gold donator section.

If your donator status is incorrect, please contact Michael at operations@freedomainradio.com with the relevant information and it will be corrected as soon as possible.

Photo

What future FDR presentations would you like to see?

• Please log in to reply
462 replies to this topic

srslyuguiz

srslyuguiz
  • 3 posts

I think the best "Truth About" series are the ones done on extremely specific subjects, like people or events. To me, disecting more abstract subjects is not as interesting, even though it can be just as or more important.

I love the idea of Truth About Circumcision, maybe include female mutilation as well? So it would just be called "The Truth About Gential Mutilation" or "The truth about male and female circumcision"

The Truth About MLK

The Truth About JFK

The Truth About Chem Trails (Just kidding, couldn't help myself)

The Truth About The Border (Mexican, no one minds if you Canadians come down to visit)

The Truth About Marriage or The Truth About Divorce (Abstract but attention getting)

The Truth About Video Game Violence

That's all I've got for now. I'm really only personally interested in Video Game Violence and Circumcision (which merged in the South Park rpg with the attack called "Circumscythe"). The rest I think others would enjoy.

Thanks!

kerou

kerou
  • 70 posts

In lieu of the passing of Satoru Iwata, it might be neat to look into his life to see if there is anything worth going over for a "Truth About Mr. Iwata"

This guy was the son of a mayor, who defied his father and decided to go into computer programming. His father wanted him to become a lawyer or politician like he was but instead he ended up being one of the most productive members of every company he joined and eventually became the CEO of Nintendo.

He was a huge risk taker, often putting innovation over safety and really stretching the demographic of his market. He employed thousands and gave joy to millions, all through running a company.

I dont know if he has any skeletons in his closet that you could find, but it might be an interesting concept to do a "Truth about" someone who is largely unknown to history but had very positive effects.

hannahbanana

hannahbanana
  • 219 posts

I'd also like to hear about Bernie Sanders...I hear a lot about him from other young people around me, but I honestly know very little and I am unsure as to what about him is being accurately represented when I research him.

Zelenn

Zelenn
  • 70 posts
The Truth about "Productivity Methods."

The Truth about "Self Mastery."

I found reading through RTR again, that I really identified with Stef's depiction of the boxer and his general addiction to "self mastery." I have recently given up my studies of martial arts, realizing that I was recreating the abuses of my boyhood classmates in order to "remaster" those damaging times.

I think it is a related addiction that I stat out and track EVERYTHING in my life. I've got MyfitnessPal to track my food, Mint to track my finances, Gleeo to track my time usage, Quantified Mind to track my mental performance, Stephen Covey's methods of organizing and planning, I get blood work done routinely, etc.

I've been kind of obsessed with controlling every aspect of my life and it's been very stressful and now I am wondering if the "stress" is the point. I wonder if I am using all these methods of time management to, like the boxer, purposely cause myself stress so that I can have an odd sort of sanity absent any "real" stress and pain.

We might also have a "Truth About Hacking Your Life." Vitamin hacks, Sleep hacks, Study hacks, Fitness hacks, Diet hacks, Money hacks, Creativity hacks, etc. I used to be, and to some extent still am, an avid "Life Hacker." I wonder what the cost is of constantly trying to "Upgrade" your brain and "Bulletproof" your life. I wonder if this is my version of what Stef calls "Me Plus." I have to be Me Plus: Strong, low body fat%, a large bank account, college educated, good looking, witty, superbly healthy, with optimized cognitiong, no brain fog EVER, with the EEG brain waves of a 40 year Zen Monk etc.

Achieving self mastery in all those areas is a daunting task, which I think has led to what I call "Hacker Culture." An entire generation of "Me Plus," and we're willing to attend seminars and buy over priced products and pop knock off Modafinil we found from a supplier on Reddit based in India and we're basically turn ourselves into a science experiement in order to achieve to achieve a kind of self mastery that I think stems from a neglectful and abusive childhood where we always had to be "More."

We were all weak and defenseless and wounded as children, but as adults... "We can rebuild him. We have the technology. We can make him Better. Faster. Stronger. Smarter."

And the thing thats absolutely essential that Hacker Culture has left out is the question, "While you're doing all this hacking and upgrading and quantifying your life, what have you been missing? What have we NOT been doing, while we've been so busy "Upgrading" our lives?" Building relationships? Exploring past traumas? Finding satisfying relationships where we can love and be loved, know and be known, celebrate and be celebrated?

I love my Butter Coffee too, but maybe theres something beyond this obsession with Hacking everything.
"I hate quotations. Tell me what YOU know."-- Ralph Waldo Emmerson.

"Let us then be up and doing
With a heart for any fate,
Still achieving, Still pursuing,
Learn to labor and to wait." -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.

"That government is best which governs least." Henry David Thoreau.

Ray H.

Ray H.
  • 113 posts

The Truth About J. Edgar Hoover

Where to begin, though? So massively powerful for so long. Too many truths to uncover, maybe. 

TheHomeless

TheHomeless
  • 7 posts

I would love a presentation on the game Bioshock. Stef could do a "let's play" or just make comments in general about the portrayal of Objectivism, talk about what might have gone wrong, how it deviated etc..

It would also be great if he talked about Kurt Cobain, there is a new documentary that talks about his life with testimonials from his parents, who try to portrait lightly his terrible childhood . 

BroheimianGrove

BroheimianGrove
  • 2 posts

The truth about NAFTA, GATT, and the TPP

Marlowe

Marlowe
  • 49 posts

Since I see many libertarians jumping on the Rand Paul bandwagon, I think it would be great to get an updated The Truth About Voting.