Welcome to the Freedomain Radio Message Board

Sign In 

Create Account
If you're interested in joining the philosophical discussion, click "sign in" or "create account" on the right of the page. If you're creating a new account, please be sure to include an explanation as to why you're interested in joining the message board community. This verification requirement is included to cut down on possible troll and spam accounts.

If you have supported Freedomain Radio financially and would like immediate access to the message board - or - your donation status is incorrect, please contact Michael at operations@freedomainradio.com with your information and the situation will be addresses ASAP.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Saturday April 12th, 2014: Toronto Bitcoin Expo

Sunday April 13th, 2014: Sunday Call In Show at 10am Eastern

Monday April 14th, 2014: Peter Schiff Radio Show at 10am Eastern

Wednesday April 16th, 2014: Wednesday Call In Show at 8pm Eastern

56 Philosopher King files - 71 Gold files - 39 Silver files - 50 Bronze files

Update: A new silver level file on Peer Influence and Envy has been added! Click here to donate if you'd like access to the various premium sections. If your donator status is incorrect, please contact Michael at operations@freedomainradio.com with the relevant information and it will be corrected as soon as possible.

Photo

Suggestion: add option to collapse top section

board header

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Cosmin

Cosmin

• 48 posts

Hi, 

It is a bit annoying to have the top section of the forum so big - the one with the upcoming events and the various donator-only files. On each page I have to scroll down before I get to see the actual content.

Could you add an option to collapse that region(and remember this setting for the user)?

Thanks!

Prairie

Prairie
  • 115 posts

AdBlock Plus, add these to Filter Preferences->Custom Filters->Element Hiding Rules (see later message in thread for getting rid of signatures):

board.freedomainradio.com##.ipbfs_title
board.freedomainradio.com##.message

Cosmin

Cosmin

• 48 posts

It works, thanks for the tip!

Prairie

Prairie
  • 115 posts

One warning, I had to experiment with the element hiding helper to not hide other important content. I'm not 100% sure the above won't do that, so be ready to temporarily disable ABP if you have any suspicion of something else being hidden.

dsayers

dsayers

man in a pink bunny suit

• 1284 posts
Thank you both. For awhile there, I was considering getting an addon that allows for layout override. Since I already use ABP, the suggestions above fits the bill just fine.

How do we kill the page title also? It's very large as well. It can be helpful for thread titles, but not useful to me for section titles. I'd like to try eliminating it altogether, but it's been a LONG time since I've done HTML. I tried:

board.freedomainradio.com##.ipsType_pagetitle

It got rid of the text, but not the whole section. Here's a picture of what I mean, with the desired culling overlayed in red:

I am interested in the truth. I welcome all corrections and critiques.

dsay's audio reprocessing service

JamesP

JamesP

• 3637 posts

That's a fine suggestion. Shouldn't be too hard to do.

You can turn signatures on/off by going to your settings, clicking "'Ignore' Preferences," and making sure "Ignore all signatures when reading topics and personal messages" is turned on.

Connect with me: @jamesapyrich, Facebook, james-a-pyrich on Skype

Meetup with fellow local Freedomainers!

I accept BTC: 1DGcCf52Tnyc6pJbyQUwbiLj6Pkt6qHa3Y

Prairie

Prairie
  • 115 posts

Oh nice about turning off signatures. Usually it's in the main board prefs section.

dsayers, I got board.freedomainradio.com##.ipbfs_titlebox to hide the thread title. And I was able to remove the .title one. I also found I could get rid of the Reply button at the top with board.freedomainradio.com##.topic_controls. Then I went overboard and got rid of everything but the thread contents, but I won't bother posting those. :)

dsayers

dsayers

man in a pink bunny suit

• 1284 posts

Works nicely. Thank you very much. I keep meaning to get back into web design. So much has happened since I've been away.

LovePrevails

LovePrevails

• 1347 posts

I think it's a good suggestion as well

Cosmin

Cosmin

• 48 posts

You can also remove the Freedomain Radio title and top-right menu if you don't use them:

board.freedomainradio.com##div#branding

And to remove the breadcrumbs bar:

board.freedomainradio.com##div#secondary_navigation

dsayers

dsayers

man in a pink bunny suit

• 1284 posts

That's hot! Thanks for sharing. I have used every one shared so far. I ended up taking the topic controls one back out since it also removed the mark forum as read button, which I do make use of.

dsayers

dsayers

man in a pink bunny suit

• 1284 posts

Less important than top stuff:

What lines would I need to use to remove most of the bottom stuff? Under the reply windows is a few icons I don't need, an "also tagged" section (on threads were the author used tags), and the section with all the social media and iTunes links is what I'm talking about. I'd like to keep the reading this topic section if possible.

Prairie

Prairie
  • 115 posts

I've been using these for a few days (I have a bookmark to the top-level page listing all the subforums, since these remove those links). I made them by using the Element Hiding Helper and just clicking on them, no delving into the HTML.

board.freedomainradio.com##.ipbfs_titlebox
board.freedomainradio.com##.message
board.freedomainradio.com##.topic_controls
board.freedomainradio.com###branding
board.freedomainradio.com###secondary_navigation
board.freedomainradio.com###topic_stats
board.freedomainradio.com###footer_socialmedia
board.freedomainradio.com##.topic_share.left.shareButtons.ipsList_inline
board.freedomainradio.com###footer_utilities

dsayers

dsayers

man in a pink bunny suit

• 1284 posts

I was able to slim things down a bit as well as eliminate the also tagged box:

board.freedomainradio.com##.ipsBox_container.removeDefault
board.freedomainradio.com##.maintitle

[EDIT]
I've used this approach for Netflix too. A while back, they started including this billboard on the personalized page that did nothing for me except displace the stuff I was actually trying to get to. If anybody else uses Netflix on their PC, try this:

movies.netflix.com###billboard

Edited by dsayers, 15 February 2014 - 06:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users