Welcome to the Freedomain Radio Message Board

Sign In 

Create Account
If you're interested in joining the philosophical discussion, click "sign in" or "create account" on the right of the page. If you're creating a new account, please be sure to include an explanation as to why you're interested in joining the message board community. This verification requirement is included to cut down on possible troll and spam accounts.

If you have supported Freedomain Radio financially and would like immediate access to the message board - or - your donation status is incorrect, please contact Michael at operations@freedomainradio.com with your information and the situation will be addresses ASAP.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Saturday April 12th, 2014: Toronto Bitcoin Expo

Sunday April 13th, 2014: Sunday Call In Show at 10am Eastern

Monday April 14th, 2014: Peter Schiff Radio Show at 10am Eastern

Wednesday April 16th, 2014: Wednesday Call In Show at 8pm Eastern

56 Philosopher King files - 71 Gold files - 39 Silver files - 50 Bronze files

Update: A new silver level file on Peer Influence and Envy has been added! Click here to donate if you'd like access to the various premium sections. If your donator status is incorrect, please contact Michael at operations@freedomainradio.com with the relevant information and it will be corrected as soon as possible.

Photo

Virtual Machine Client for PPC Mac

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Miss Valeska

Miss Valeska
  • 180 posts

My friend has a PPC Mac, And he needs a virtual machine so he can run other operating systems, Such as linux systems. However, I've hardly been able to find any, And the one I did find (Q), While it installed, Did not work when ever I tried it really.

Guest_Exceptionalist_*

Guest_Exceptionalist_*

Microsoft Virtual PC for Mac, but PPC Mac doesn't say much in my book. Is it a G5 PPC Mac?

FriendlyHacker

FriendlyHacker

• 246 posts

Virtualbox and Vmware vPlayer. If you installed those and didn't work, use Google.

Anjin-san

Anjin-san

• 26 posts

Microsoft Virtual PC for Mac, but PPC Mac doesn't say much in my book. Is it a G5 PPC Mac?

I had a nice, long reply extolling the virtues of Virtualbox, which I use with great results (and even have a 77-year old client who uses it to run Windows Vista from within Linux Mint), but then noticed the "PPC."  It turns out that Virtualbox doesn't work on a PowerPC Mac.  I did find this page, however, which looks like the right stuff, which is what Undelution1982 recommended:

Virtual PC

Good luck!

"We aim to make the present a foreign place to the future." - Stefan Molyneux

FriendlyHacker

FriendlyHacker

• 246 posts

This: http://www.kju-app.org/

Then this:  https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds

Guest_Exceptionalist_*

Guest_Exceptionalist_*

The virtual box is great for running x64 linux distributions under a windows based environment, but it requires a x86 system.

BTW Virtual PC for Mac isn't free, unlike the PC version.

FriendlyHacker

FriendlyHacker

• 246 posts

First link is a CPU emulator for Mac. Emulate x86, amd64 or whatever.

Miss Valeska

Miss Valeska
  • 180 posts

Hmm, I've tried that Q program, And it sort of kind of runs some things for a few seconds, But it generally has issues and crashes. Also, I couldn't find any PPC version of virtual box through those old versions you listed.

FriendlyHacker

FriendlyHacker

• 246 posts

There is no PPC version, you run a CPU emulator and then run the version for that CPU.

Anjin-san

Anjin-san

• 26 posts

You could also try setting it up in a dual-boot configuration, repartitioning the hard drive for two operating systems, but make sure you have a FULL hard drive image backed up first!

Frankly, though, it might be less painful to buy an old PC from Craigslist or other and play with Linux on that.  You can find early 2000s Pentium-4 machines for $50 or so (I know because I trying to clear space and was considering selling one there).

Good luck!

"We aim to make the present a foreign place to the future." - Stefan Molyneux

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users