Welcome to the Freedomain Radio Message Board

Sign In 

Create Account
If you're interested in joining the philosophical discussion, click "sign in" or "create account" on the right of the page. If you're creating a new account, please be sure to include an explanation as to why you're interested in joining the message board community. This verification requirement is included to cut down on possible troll and spam accounts.

If you have supported Freedomain Radio financially and would like immediate access to the message board - or - your donation status is incorrect, please contact Michael at operations@freedomainradio.com with your information and the situation will be addresses ASAP.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Wednesday April 23rd, 2014: No Call In Show

Thursday and Friday April 24-25th, 2014: The Next Web Conference in Amsterdam

Friday April 25th, 2014: Watch Stefan's Speech LIVE at 9:20am Eastern

Saturday April 26th, 2014: Freedomain Radio Meet-Up in Amsterdam

Sunday April 27th, 2014: No Call In Show

56 Philosopher King files - 71 Gold files - 40 Silver files - 50 Bronze files

Update: A new silver level file on Toxic Guilt and The Credibility Bank Account has been added! Click here to donate if you'd like access to the various premium sections. If your donator status is incorrect, please contact Michael at operations@freedomainradio.com with the relevant information and it will be corrected as soon as possible.

Photo

What future FDR presentations would you like to see?

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

MMD

MMD

• 772 posts

Stef just did "The Truth About Snowden" and "The Truth About Detroit's Bankruptcy" will be out in the next day.

We're going to stay tuned to relevant news events for subject ideas, but this thread will be for any and all suggestions for future presentations.

I think I'm going to work on "The Truth About Circumcision" next, but if there is anything that you'd like to see, or anything you'd like to help put together, lets use this thread to exchange that information.

LovePrevails

LovePrevails

• 1382 posts

I like the truth about circumcision idea I hope it goes viral

can you add somewhere the list of FDR email addresses I never know where to find them

MMD

MMD

• 772 posts

I like the truth about circumcision idea I hope it goes viral

can you add somewhere the list of FDR email addresses I never know where to find them

Here's everything.

We're not promoting any other email addresses as they just made things needlessly complicated. Other than Stef's email, everything else goes to me.

Ritchey

Ritchey
  • 17 posts

The truth about anarchy would be nice. I often find it difficult to persuade people to check out Stef's videos. I get responces like, "He's an anarchist. No thanks." and "I don't subscibe to chaos". I know the topic is covered over the many podcasts that Stef has done, but I think one concise video would clear up the myths of what anarchy really is. Maybe it could serve as an introduction to anarchy for some.

LovePrevails

LovePrevails

• 1382 posts

Stef just did "The Truth About Snowden" and "The Truth About Detroit's Bankruptcy" will be out in the next day.

We're going to stay tuned to relevant news events for subject ideas, but this thread will be for any and all suggestions for future presentations.

I think I'm going to work on "The Truth About Circumcision" next, but if there is anything that you'd like to see, or anything you'd like to help put together, lets use this thread to exchange that information.

the truth about grades

http://radiius.org/o...tion-of-grades/

The Truth About Noam Chomsky

The Truth About The Drug War

The Truth About Industrial Hemp

Pepin

Pepin

• 542 posts

Something more of a psychological nature. This may not fit the "truth of" criteria. What I am thinking about is something about psychological biases, but that may just be because I've been interested in that subject as of late.

TheRobin

TheRobin

• 823 posts

Truth about Public Schools, given that's it's the biggest indoctrination center in history and a lot of people still think it's the way to educate children.

MMD

MMD

• 772 posts

These are all fantastic Ideas, please keep them coming!  I can see that I'm going to be busy!

Rob_Ilir

Rob_Ilir

• 146 posts

The truth about conflict of interest. with a bit of upb in it. 

Wesley

Wesley

Self-Excavator

• 1232 posts

Certain departments may be popular than others, but you could wait for a federal department to come into the news or have a scandal, then release a "The Truth about the Department of Defense", "The Truth about the Department of Education", "The Truth about the Department of Housing and Urban Development", etc to tour some of the exectutive departments over time. Could be interesting in the right circumstances, namely pointing out how they accomplish the opposite of their title or intended goals. It probably could be expanded to the congress, presidency, judicial system, and other things if it becomes popular or those opportunities present themselves.

I'd like to see one on Bradley Manning, but that might be past as far as the average person goes.

The Truth about Government Unemployment Numbers, or other such statistics, probably to be released when some number is really big and in the media and some president is patting themselves on the back.

Those are the ideas I have for now. I will think about this thread when various events happen.

JamesP

JamesP

• 3643 posts

The Truth about:

• Corruption
  • Wealth
  • Capitalism

In each, something about what people think it is, what it really is, and how the state manipulates it for their own ends.  Especially corruption, seeing as it is so inevitable... I suspect that people in power must use it as a tool of some kind.

Connect with me: @jamesapyrich, Facebook, james-a-pyrich on Skype

Meetup with fellow local Freedomainers!

I accept BTC: 1DGcCf52Tnyc6pJbyQUwbiLj6Pkt6qHa3Y

DaVinci

DaVinci
  • 89 posts

I would really like to see a presentation on the idea of group think and how it relates to reason and evidence. I've seen many people recently dismissing reason and evidence because they get caught up in group think.

Wesley

Wesley

Self-Excavator

• 1232 posts

The Truth About Suicide Terrorism would be highly controversial and important for people to learn.

Robert A. Pape has done a lot of work on this, it also could be an interview.

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia....icide_Terrorism

Dying to Win: The Strategic Logic of Suicide Terrorism is Robert Pape's analysis of suicide terrorism from a strategic, social, and psychological point of view. It is based on a database he has compiled at the University of Chicago, where he directs the Chicago Project on Security and Terrorism. The book's conclusions are based on data from 315 suicide terrorism attacks around the world from 1980 through 2003. Of these, 301 were classified into 18 different campaigns by 11 different groups; the remaining 14 appear to have been isolated. Published in May 2005, Pape's volume has been widely noticed by the press, the public, and policymakers alike, and has earned praise from the likes of Peter Bergen, Congressman Ron Paul (R-Texas),[1] and Michael Scheuer.[2]

Pape claims to have compiled the world's first "database of every suicide bombing and attack around the globe from 1980 through 2003 — 315 attacks in all" (3). "The data show that there is little connection between suicide terrorism and Islamic fundamentalism, or any one of the world's religions. . . . Rather, what nearly all suicide terrorist attacks have in common is a specific secular and strategic goal: to compel modern democracies to withdraw military forces from territory that the terrorists consider to be their homeland" (4). It is important that Americans understand this growing phenomenon (4-7).

Pape proposes an alternative explanation of the "causal logic of suicide terrorism": at the strategic level, suicide terrorism exerts coercive power against democratic states to cease occupation of territory terrorists consider homeland, while at the social level it depends on mass support and at the individual level it is motivated by altruism (20-23). All 18 campaigns shared two elements: (1) a foreign occupation (2) by a democracy. Only one of the 10 groups shared a religion with the occupiers: the Kurdistan Workers' Party in Turkey. "The bottom line, then, is that suicide terrorism is mainly a response to foreign occupation" (23).

I remember watching a presentation, and he either brought the analogy of the movie Red Dawn, or I thought of it myself. The movie basically idolizes some young adults and teens who, when their country gets invaded by the Russians, begin to perform guerilla warfare and at least one suicide bombing with a grenade left by one of the members of their team who was about to die. I think it would be great information for people to learn factually, as well as to empathize with the situation that these people are in.

Nathan T_ Freeman

Nathan T_ Freeman

• 600 posts

As I've pitched privately "The Truth about Lincoln and the End of Slavery" would be great.

In general, if the impact of the Zimmerman/Martin video is an indication, doing videos on high-hype media topics is really effective. So perhaps "The Truth about Ariel Castro," "The Truth about Anthony Weiner" or "The Truth about the Royal Baby" (this last would be great with the whole 'highly successful murder clan' angle)

"The Truth about Drug Abuse" covering everyone from Cory Monteith to Anna Nicole Smith to Adam Kokesh to Heath Ledger. Paying special attention to legal vs. illegal drugs, since I think prescription drug overdose recently became the leading cause of death in the US (or some variation thereof.)

Thomas K

Thomas K

• 107 posts

While you mention celebrities, I think a multi-part series on the film & music industry would be great. Focusing on bad childhoods, suicidal behaviour as a consequence (drugs), and eventually early deaths. I am currently working on compiling a list.

Believe me, there is material to talk about for hours. Its huge.

The question for me is, are the arts because of this, ultimately immoral?

Because you enable damaged people to kill themselves and be exploited by others.

I personally stopped watching movies and tv, sold my record collection, it could also be extended to literature as I stopped reading fiction.

To me it all has become pointless, just like Pro Sports (btw another area of child rape, Jerry Sandusky).

Stef has made some points here and there (Charlie Sheen, Marylin Monroe, Anna Nicole Smith, Michael Jackson)

However I think there could be done more.

I have been researching the rumors/accusations of Todd Bridges and Corey Feldman

The more you google "Pedophilia in Hollywood", the more it scares me.

https://www.google.d...peril spielberg

Steven Spielberg's fascination with kids and making movies about putting them in constant peril like "Jurassic Park", or creepy things like "Hook", incest in "Back to the Future", etc.

Connect this with sex/rape scandals in Politics, Religions (Catholics, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Mormons, Jehova's Witnesses, ...), (Pro) Sports, Movies (Wooy Allen, Roman Polanski, ...), TV, Pop Music, Literature (Nabokov), Public Schools, Day Care, Boy Scouts, the Military  ... it goes on and on and on.

Also in that regard, the tragic influence of Mysticism/Zen Buddhism on Psychology, Carl Jung, etc.

Carl Gustav Jung described "Hitler as possessed by the archetype of the collective Aryan unconscious and could not help obeying the commands of an inner voice". In a series of interviews between 1936 and 1939, Jung characterized Hitler as an archetype, often manifesting itself to the complete exclusion of his own personality. "'Hitler is a spiritual vessel, a demi-divinity; even better, a myth. Benito Mussolini is a man' ... the messiah of Germany who teaches the virtue of the sword. 'The voice he hears is that of the collective unconscious of his race'"

http://en.wikipedia....he_Oxford_Group

In 1931, an American business executive, Rowland Hazard, sought treatment for alcoholism with psychiatrist Carl Jung in Switzerland. Jung, who had broken away from Freudian psychoanalysis years earlier, coined the term synchronicity for "meaningful coincidences" that happen in life. Common references in AA deal with "Spiritual Awakenings" and "Spiritual Experience". When Hazard ended treatment with Jung after about a year, he soon resumed drinking and returned for further treatment. Jung told Hazard that his case was nearly hopeless (as with other alcoholics) and that his only hope might be a spiritual conversion with a religious group.[11][12][13]

Pepin

Pepin

• 542 posts

A presentation on neuro-linguistic programming would be interesting. Stefan has mentioned it in a few podcasts, and some explanation of how it works, how it is used, and why it is effective would be rather informative.

gwho

gwho
  • 98 posts

The truth about the dotcom bubble crash
I'd very much like to take a software entrepreneur and person-who-has-their-head-screwed-on-right'stake on it.

The truth about the US Civl War
- economic/incentives analysis

- it was not about slavery

- religious powers involved

- any facts about key lesser known people who had a significant role behind the scnees

- twisted stories that didn't actually go down the way we were repeatedly told how it did go down.

The truth about the funding fathers

- everyone knows they were deists,

- anything with philosophical significance else beyond the usual separation or church and state, kind of stuff?

Truth about Islam would be good.

I'm not sure if Stef has looked deep into it as much. I recall he saying he doesn't look too deeply into something is already at the surface-level clearly irrational in the early podcasts, but it given the significance of it today, it could be a worthwhile topic. It could go over the origins, life of Muhammad, the teachings of the Koran whether the religion is actually peaceful or not (there is deniable from my Muslim friends on this). But then again, it is a large topic, and could frame Stef a certain way if he doesn't do ones on other religions. just an idea.

The truth about Catholicism
- catholicism is very different from biblical christianity in origins and effects.

- the babylonian religion ahd a system of confessionals unbiblical doctrines, etc.
(i'm not defneding christianity here, but there is such huge difference between catholicism and christianity once you look past the superficial relabeling of names, etc. they are two very different creatures, and if you trace origins, you see that catholicism has taken on a garb of christianity. 'he two babylons" by alexander hislop explains a lot).

pablo

pablo

• 80 posts

I would like to see a presentation about Margaret Thatcher, her childhood, what may have contributed to her pursuing *that* political career, and ultimately an analysis of her main policies and her level of integrity to libertarian ideas.

I find it fascinating that she would not take a "U-turn" on her decisions, even though that meant a huge decrease in popularity.

LovePrevails

LovePrevails

• 1382 posts

I would like to see a presentation about Margaret Thatcher, her childhood, what may have contributed to her pursuing *that* political career, and ultimately an analysis of her main policies and her level of integrity to libertarian ideas.

I find it fascinating that she would not take a "U-turn" on her decisions, even though that meant a huge decrease in popularity.

Yes I was really surprised that Stefan did not to a presentation on Thatcher when she died!

very surprised in that

YMS

YMS

• 6 posts

I'd like to see a presentation on temp work / temp agencies, such as Manpower, when they appeared, why, etc.

In France temping was illegal before 1971, i've been told, and it seems that an explanation for the rise in unemployment is the introduction of temping and a work contract called the CDD (determined length contract) as opposed to the CDI (undetermined length contract). The CDI was up until then the only legal contract, and it meant you were employed "without any end date".

YMS

------

Come & record your album in the tropics.

Daniel Chambers

Daniel Chambers
  • 19 posts

Wesley mentioned "The Truth about the Department of Education". I'd like to see more about education:

Its Prussian roots, the works of behaviorists like Watson and Skinner regarding education, how these elements brought us where we are today, where education's future is headed, and potential changes we can make.

"Sir, there are two passions which have a powerful influence in the
affairs of men. These are ambition and avarice -- the love of power and
the love of money." -- Benjamin Franklin, 1787

voluntaryistmitch

voluntaryistmitch

• 45 posts

I really like the the truth about circumcision idea.  I also like the truth about the royal baby, but it may be a little late for that.  For these type of presentations, I think the topics that have the most chance of going viral (like the Trayvon Martin one), are topics that are controversial and where Stef can really bring a different perspective than the average person hears in the mainstream media.

Also, I still haven't watched Stef's video with the Storm Clouds Gathering guy, but I think this channel needs to be observed to attempt to understand how they have grown so rapidly.  At the beginning of this year they had just over 26,000 subscribers.  Now they have over 172,000 (+562%)!  Stef has gone from 53,000 to 88,000 (+66%).  Awesome growth, but I know this can accelerate.

http://socialblade.c...thering/monthly & http://vidstatsx.com...eos-most-recent

http://socialblade.c...be/user/stefbot & http://vidstatsx.com...youtube-channel

It is a shame that Stef's channel is not growing anywhere near that type of pace when he has so much more to offer.  From what I've seen, they have some libertarian oriented stuff, but it has a bit of a conspiracy theory feel to it (which I hate).  I just wonder if there are any lessons to be learned from their success.

MMD

MMD

• 772 posts

Update: The Truth About Circumcision is just about done and should be debuting shortly. I'm next going to finish the almost completed work on a UK version of "There will be no economic recovery. Prepare yourself accordingly". After that I'm going to begin working on "The Truth About Marijuana" which should make for quite the interesting presentation.

I'd really like to thank everybody for their suggestions and also say that if anybody wants to do research and put together a presentation themselves on a certain subject, we'd certainly be interested in recording it and publishing it. These presentations take quite a bit of work, as for example, The Truth About Circumcision and The Truth About Detroit's Bankruptcy took about me three days each to put together.  This obviously limits the amount of these presentations that we can do, and if anybody would like to assist is with research, just shoot me a message at operations@freedomainradio.com and we can talk about any details and I can hook you up with our powerpoint presentation template.

These presentations seem to bring a bunch of new people into the show and have been the most effective form of outreach that we've found, so any help that can be provided would be incredibly appreciated. If you're interested in helping, just contact me.

mynameisMax

mynameisMax
  • 23 posts

A presentation on Peak oil please. Heads up there's a lot of research to do here a lot is already done and in power points to possibly. This knowledge is important as peak oil will effect everyone in ways so dramatic it will change and shape our culture.

Oh Steph I'ma call you Neo cool? Neo enjoy the Marijuana reseatch ;) Just my input I was exclusively drug free for 18 years then I hit the weed bug hard 4 years on and off I was an addict. Through what little self knowledge i have gained so far I have realised that my addiction was me trying to replace something irriplacable and neccisary unfortunatly something I still have not yet found. Love. I will create it for sure thanks to your help book, podcast ect.

Well thats my input. Self knownledge and selfcontrol were my cure but love will kill the addiction thats what ittle i learned philisophically on the subject.

Also I found this wonderfull site from the America will collapse presentation so I ca't agree with you more on bringing people to philosophy with these.

Oh Once I get some income i'll be sure to donate This is right up there with prostate cancer.See I knre that thanks to this site referring me to Warren Ferrel. Hey If I win the lotto fdr gets my parents share.

Thanks~

Truthseeker Max,

In the belly of the beast

In the belly of the beast

• 66 posts

-The truth about the Asian "tiger" economies.

-The truth about inflation and unemployment (shadowstats.com is an excellent resource in this area).

-The truth about obesity.

-The truth about universities.

-The truth about the telecommunications industry.

-The truth about the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).

-SImilarities and differences between the collapse of the Soviet economy and a potential complete collapse of the American and other western economies (See the book "Reinventing Collapse" by Dmitry Orlov for a perceptive everyman's take on this topic).

-The truth about divorce and child custody.

-The truth about pickup artists (PUA).

'The semantically free Anarcho-Capitalist says, "Why do you regard the concept of "Emperor" (so-called) as valid?" If you use the concepts of the enemy as if valid, you've bought into the system at the most basic and most powerful level.

Some years ago I stayed with an Anarchist Libertarian friend in New York. One evening he and several friends were discussing World War II. My friend was much too young to have participated in the war, but when talking about the successes of the American army he repeatedly said, "We did so-and-so." Similarly, I've heard Libertarians talk about "our government," "our president," and "doing my taxes." They've bought into the system at the most basic and most powerful level.'

-Frederick Mann

"Bought-Into-The-System"

http://www.mind-trek...ports/tl50c.htm

Thomas K

Thomas K

• 107 posts

The Truth about the TERRIBLE TWOS

The Truth about FEMINISM

YMS

YMS

• 6 posts

The truth about "THE REAL NEWS"

YMS

------

Come & record your album in the tropics.

voluntaryistmitch

voluntaryistmitch

• 45 posts
These presentations seem to bring a bunch of new people into the show and have been the most effective form of outreach that we've found, so any help that can be provided would be incredibly appreciated. If you're interested in helping, just contact me.

Yes, it seems like it.  Thanks for putting them together.  They have been excellent, informative, and will really help grow FDR.

Brewjo

Brewjo

• 2 posts

The Truth about September 7.

Stefan Molyneux dissects the upcoming Australian Federal election.

Topics include:

• boat people, offshore processing and the "Nauru Solution"
  • Western Australian mining boom and the economy aka "Cashed-up bogans"
  • Rudd-Gillard-Rudd; party politics and mandatory voting
  • Northern Territory National Emergency Response (Aboriginals need Government Supervision).

​My main reason for wanting this presentation is that on that fateful Saturday, I have to go vote at the local Primary School.

At least, when it's over, my favorite radio station will stop telling me to "Have your say!" after every-other song or segment.

Great to see the board updated and I like having access to the  text editing ribbon.

LovePrevails

LovePrevails

• 1382 posts

Hey - here is something I think might be an important/useful one

The Truth About Glass-Steagall and Dergulation of the Banking Industry

Because most thinking/reading people believe it was the removal of this regulation which allowed the banks to make crap loans and become "too big to fail" thus is was DEREGULATION which caused the economic crisis

this is a good way to turn the tide on this by responding to the arguments they make and debunking them

I advise not making any assertions about the general character of liberals and socialists if you want it to be spread around more, they can get stuff on how their policies on universal healthcare and such are daft in related videos such as the one you already did on what caused the banking crisis

Pepin

Pepin

• 542 posts

This might just be my selfish preference, but I'd love to see a podcast devoted to physics and its relation to philosophy, particularly epistemology. I know it could be argued that in a way that has already been done in a way, like through the Introduction to Philosophy and bits and pieces throughout various podcasts especially in regard to theism, but I feel like one concise video would give a lot of credibility to FDR from people who are coming from an interest in science or the skeptics community. It would also be a good clarifying video for those who think of a philosopher as one of those abstract people who isn't sure about material reality.

Within my experience, the biggest discrediting of any modern thinker is when it comes to their views on classical and modern physics. For instance there was an objectivist podcast that I was listening to, and all of a sudden quantum physics came up and the guy began calling it a pseudoscience without at all understanding it and current day applications of the science.

Alloyd

Alloyd
  • 2 posts

I'd like to see an outline of the history of philosophy, what the major philosophers basic ideas were and how their implicit and explicit impact of the voluntarist debate. Not much to as for, but you asked.

Thomas K

Thomas K

• 107 posts

Following the Elysium review, I would suggest some other movie reviews (movies for people over the age of 12) who could bring new audiences to FDR:

Truth about SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK

(bipolar disorder? / crazy parents : gambling DeNiro / ProSports nonsense in general / absurdity of healing through dancing / writer/director David O. Russel said he made this movie for his son because he is "suffering" from the same "disease" as the main character / David O. Russel is known for his violent temper and outbursts on set / on the set of I Heart Huckabees

Hypocrisy/child abusers at work in Hollywood and getting Oscar recognition for it.

Truth about THE WHITE RIBBON

(movie about German kids pre-World War One how they are treated by their parents, the idea is these kids later go on to fight and support the NSDAP regime)

The Truth about THE MASTER

(traumatized war veteran is vulnerable/susceptible to religious ideas)

FiddlertheLeper

FiddlertheLeper

• 35 posts

How about a video on the "Truth about Identity" I think we as both individuals and as a society have so many misconceptions about where our personal identities come from, how they are influenced, and how to peel back the layers of inflicted or borrowed identities, to find our true selves underneath.  I have only been listening to FDR for a little more than about 4 months now, and while i have seen many podcasts/videos that touch upon important aspects of this topic, I haven't seen one with this topic as the central focus, bringing all this stuff together into one cohesive conversation. 

For those who have been with FDR far longer than i have, if this podcast has already been done please feel free to point me to it, and disregard my request. Thanks again to everyone involved in the wonderful conversations going here on FDR both listener's and Stefan and Mike!

Chisleu

Chisleu
  • 155 posts

I second the banking regulation bit. I find it interesting.

In the same area:

The Truth About Inflation. Is the Fed's purpose to keep inflation "stable" by inflating the monetary supply to counteract what would be deflation from technology and other private sector efficiencies? It seems like they are. It doesn't make sense that we have steadily increasing prices with increasing efficiency unless government monetary and fiscal policy is to blame. Maybe I'm wrong? :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users