Welcome to the Freedomain Radio Message Board

Sign In 

Create Account
If you're interested in joining the philosophical discussion, click "sign in" or "create account" on the right of the page. If you're creating a new account, please be sure to include an explanation as to why you're interested in joining the message board community. This verification requirement is included to cut down on possible troll and spam accounts.

If you have supported Freedomain Radio financially and would like immediate access to the message board - or - your donation status is incorrect, please contact Michael at operations@freedomainradio.com with your information and the situation will be addresses ASAP.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Saturday April 12th, 2014: Toronto Bitcoin Expo

Sunday April 13th, 2014: Sunday Call In Show at 10am Eastern

Monday April 14th, 2014: Peter Schiff Radio Show at 10am Eastern

Wednesday April 16th, 2014: Wednesday Call In Show at 8pm Eastern

56 Philosopher King files - 71 Gold files - 39 Silver files - 50 Bronze files

Update: A new silver level file on Peer Influence and Envy has been added! Click here to donate if you'd like access to the various premium sections. If your donator status is incorrect, please contact Michael at operations@freedomainradio.com with the relevant information and it will be corrected as soon as possible.

Photo

Teaching myself Java. Anyone on here done the same and have any advice?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

BaylorPRSer

BaylorPRSer

• 51 posts

Currently, teaching myself Java and wondering if anyone has any suggestions for teaching yourself.  I've done some super-simple programs and am now working on two programs, one that outputs the nth Fibonacci number and one that lists prime factors and they're both tripping me up.  Obviously, those are still very basic and thus have a lot of work to do.  I get that this isn't a Java site, but there are some technologically inclined people on here and I was just looking for advice on teaching yourself.  Favorite websites, books, youtubers, seminars etc. 

NateC

NateC

• 158 posts

Java practice problems -> http://codingbat.com/

or

Design a challenging program and start coding...research and figure out solutions as you go. (and it helped having a programming buddy back in the day)

"In the long run we are all dead." --John Maynard Keynes

"Keynes died and left us with his long run." --Murray Rothbard

J-William

J-William
  • 969 posts

Currently, teaching myself Java and wondering if anyone has any suggestions for teaching yourself. 

Heya! that sounds great! I've been working on learning Python myself. I'd say you've taken a good step in reaching out to other people for help and support. Maybe we could keep in touch and check on eachother's progress :D

for actual advice... well I've been finding lots of free books/ online tutorials and picking out the best of those. I've also been keeping a notebook with my progress to help me manage the "project" of learning to program.

I think you'd do well to work on a project that solves some problem you want solved. It doesn't even have to be a problem that hasn't been solved, it could just be one that you want solved in your own way.

For example I'm starting on a project to process text files and add spaces between Chinese "words"... which is hard because Chinese words aren't well defined like English words. There are programs that do this, but they are hard to use and don't work in exactly the way I want them to so I've made it a project to make a program that does this in a user-friendly (or at least me-friendly) way.

Please read and review my very silly collection of short stories!

Free until the 22nd! download now! 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0052275QS  :thanks:

“Good men don’t serve in the army.  Good iron doesn’t get turned into nails.”- Chinese saying

aerocabin

aerocabin
  • 127 posts

When I decided to learn Java a couple years ago, as someone who programmed for a hobby off and on for 15 years, I picked up this book and found it useful:

http://www.amazon.com/Core-Java-Volume-I--Fundamentals-Edition/dp/0132354764/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372990647&sr=8-1

Good luck!

Pepin

Pepin

• 530 posts

Take some time to think and understand what you want to do, and how to do it. Write out a plan. Make sure it works on paper before putting it into code.

FreedomPhilosophy

FreedomPhilosophy

• 122 posts

I've been a Java developer since 2001.

I recommend studying the Java programmer certification literature to get a solid grounding in the principles. Then move on to tackling real world problems.

You could probably pick up a book that covers this really cheap, no need for the latest editions.

Developers who don't learn the principles but learn on the job, tend to end up with a poor apreciation of Java and turn out bad code.

learn how consistent application of principles can make the world a better place at www.freedomphilosophy.tv

Andrew Rademacher

Andrew Rademacher

• 1 posts

The best luck I've had with learning new programming languages (which I've done several times) is to use http://projecteuler.net/.  It's a series of math problems which increase in difficulty.  It can be useful regardless of what programming language you are trying to learn.

J-William

J-William
  • 969 posts

The best luck I've had with learning new programming languages (which I've done several times) is to use http://projecteuler.net/.  It's a series of math problems which increase in difficulty.  It can be useful regardless of what programming language you are trying to learn.

ooh, cool seems pretty neat!

Please read and review my very silly collection of short stories!

Free until the 22nd! download now! 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0052275QS  :thanks:

“Good men don’t serve in the army.  Good iron doesn’t get turned into nails.”- Chinese saying

Kevin Beal

Kevin Beal

:)

• 1400 posts

If you want to learn Java to build android apps you can take the Team Treehouse course on Android. They have a series on Java as part of that course.

I have only heard good things about Team Treehouse and while it's not free, it's probably the way I'd go if I was just starting out.

And that's totally awesome that you want to get into programming. Good for you :)

"There is no law, no compulsion, no law of physics or man that is preventing you from living the life that you want" - Stef (The Greatest Gift in the Entire Universe)

BaylorPRSer

BaylorPRSer

• 51 posts

Thanks a lot guys.  Sorry it took ages to reply to these, but my family just moved and I was without internet for a little while.  These seem like some great resources to check out, so thank you. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users