Welcome to the Freedomain Radio Message Board

Sign In 

Create Account
If you're interested in joining the philosophical discussion, click "sign in" or "create account" on the right of the page. If you're creating a new account, please be sure to include an explanation as to why you're interested in joining the message board community. This verification requirement is included to cut down on possible troll and spam accounts.

If you have supported Freedomain Radio financially and would like immediate access to the message board - or - your donation status is incorrect, please contact Michael at operations@freedomainradio.com with your information and the situation will be addresses ASAP.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Wednesday April 23rd, 2014: No Call In Show

Thursday and Friday April 24-25th, 2014: The Next Web Conference in Amsterdam

Friday April 25th, 2014: Watch Stefan's Speech LIVE at 9:20am Eastern

Saturday April 26th, 2014: Freedomain Radio Meet-Up in Amsterdam

Sunday April 27th, 2014: No Call In Show

56 Philosopher King files - 71 Gold files - 40 Silver files - 50 Bronze files

Update: A new silver level file on Toxic Guilt and The Credibility Bank Account has been added! Click here to donate if you'd like access to the various premium sections. If your donator status is incorrect, please contact Michael at operations@freedomainradio.com with the relevant information and it will be corrected as soon as possible.

Photo

A critique of Stefan Molyneux's Discussion with Stephan Kinsella

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

Pluto

Pluto
  • 19 posts

If the child understands that her
mother is willing to respect the child's wishes within her financial
means while keeping the child safe, then I could easily imagine that the  
child might find public school less palatable than some other imaginary
option but accept the fact that other options aren't viable.

If the child can process and accept all this, he/she is no longer a child. That is the central challenge.

Then, is a child only a "pre-rational creature" ?

Why would it be binary?

Are not if...then statements binary?  I gathered that you were saying that if a child understands a mother's reason for her actions, then he/she is no longer a child.  Did I misunderstand you?  I am merely curious on when you think this transition occurs.

MMD

MMD

• 775 posts

I think I understand the challenges here - what if a poor single parent has to send her child to public school because she has to work, and her child does not want to go, is that force?

These kinds of issues show up a lot in parenting - parental necessity versus child's preferences...

This is certainly quite a challenge for sure.

I think I would have had a much better experience in public school despite its big problems had my parents treated me with respect and kindness when I was at home.

But it's really not parental necessity. It's a choice. Anyone with an IQ over 75 can look into the future and project their own income potential and living situations to at least some rough range of probability (random disasters notwithstanding, of course).

In otherwords, the force occurs long before the child does. Choosing to bring a child into an environment where you know you're going to have to turn them over to an evil because your life has already been diminished to the point that independence from it is probabilistically unlikely, may not be evil in and of itself, but it's pretty close, in my view.

Yeah, that sucks. Yeah, it's depressing. Yeah, it's harsh. And yeah, that condemns millions who would love to have children of their own into the dichotomy of barren living versus surrender to evil. But I'm not the one who created that situation. I'm just pointing it out.

[notworthy] Very well put Greg.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users